Yolk color changing experiments!!

2 different brands of pasture raised eggs.
Want to take a guess which ones are which?

View attachment 3738275View attachment 3738276View attachment 3738277
I would always get organic pasture raised eggs when we didn’t have our own chickens. A random organic/pasture raised egg from Grocery Outlet in CA had the deepest orange egg yolks! Simply called “heirloom farms” (I think)… something with heirloom & they were all different shades of color (even some blue & greens). Way cheap too!
The orangest yolked eggs I’ve ever seen were just regular eggs I bought from a chain grocery store in Mexico! They keep their eggs on the shelf there (not refrigerated).

Hi all :)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had a weird thing happen, one of my 25 hens is laying a pearly white yolk. Over the years I've supplemented marigold, turmeric, or herbs to give them deep orange yolks.. they've been eating Naturwise Layer for twoish years now, with frequent trips to the pasture for grazing.
Last week we deciding to try fermenting their feed. I took a fifty pound layer crumble feed bag, put it in a plastic lidded bucket, added water till it was a mash consistency, then added 16oz of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, mixed well. We've been giving them only this mix for the last three days, along with their pasture grazing.
Is it possible the apple cider vinegar has made the yolk white? Or, would the fermenting process do this?
(or, maybe, she isn't eating the feed at all lol! lacking nutrients ??)
I haven't figured out which hen it is, I only know the shape of the egg, its always a smaller, very round brown egg XD
A friend told me to make sure nobody has vent gleet... I haven't seen any, but I'm about to go looking, just to be safe. Would an infected cloaca, or maybe uterus, cause a white yolk??
Thanks for any help :)
-Raptorchick
*edited to add picture example below

egg yolks.jpg

Last edited:
Worms, especially capillary worms will cause light egg yolks.

And some herbs will too such as shepherds purse. Check your yard or ranging grounds and in case you find it in abundance just reduce the amount of this herb. Some chickens just take to the taste and others do not.

If you know who is laying the discoloured egg yolks, you could deworm her thoroughly and hopefully, her yolks will soon show a normal orangy-yellow colour again.

Back
Top Bottom