yolk mess on hatching eggs - please help!!

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
My silkie has been sitting on 6 eggs for a week now.

This morning there were only 5 eggs left, the rest were covered in a sticky mess with bedding glued to the shells.

My silkie's chest is matted with dried yolk and she is balding on her stomach and chest.

I did not see any egg shells anywhere, but other hens are laying in her nest (I take out all unmarked eggs every morning).

Can't relocate her to a safe place as she abandons the eggs, she wants to hatch in THAT nest which cannot be closed off to the rest of the flock.

What is happening?

Do I have an egg eater in the lot??

Was it an accident?

And most importantly what do I do with the remaining 5 eggs, will the gunk on the shells suffocate the embryos?

Should I wash the shells, will this damage the exterior?

This is my first time hatching babies and I know nothing about it -

PLEASE HELP!
hit.gif

Am worried that the longer I wait, the more I risk losing any developing chicks -
sad.png

Will do nothing for now and wait for expert advice...

I don't know the answer, just here for moral support. Maybe the old timers will be up soon and can help you out. I wish you luck. Could your broody have eaten the egg? If you have an incubator you might want to fire it up and get it stabilized in case you are advised to take the eggs away from her.

Last edited by a moderator:
She should have been able to tell by the smell if it is rotten. Take with you a warm damp cloth. If the hen will let you, clean her first. Then gently slip out one egg at a time... YOUR WATER MUST MUST MUST be warmer than the eggs. If it is cooler than the eggs, any outside bacteria will be drawn in through the shells. In my opinion, cleaning them is no riskier than leaving dried egg yolk on the outside...

I'm not an expert, but if you are going to clean them, this is the way.

She really does need her own space to successfully set these eggs, it sounds. There will be a constant battle for this nest (especially when a broody doesn't want to leave her eggs and another one wants to lay an egg). This will continue to result in broken eggs. The only safe way that I know of is to move her at night, so she can't see what is happening or where she is, to put up a fuss. Good luck.

It's normal for hens to end up with a bald area when broody. They will pull their own feathers off and put that area of skin against the eggs. Rinsing the eggs or not rinsing eggs probably has about the same risks. If you clean them off make sure to use very warm water which will help keep bacteria from being pulled into the shell as the egg cools. The rest of the eggs are at risk of getting broken anyway if you can't think of a way to block off the nest.

Thanks everyone...

It's a moot point now, none of the eggs showed embryos upon candling at 7 days so I had to throw them out
sad.png

I've decided to give her one last chance with more eggs tomorrow, only I will move her in the house so she will have all the peace & quiet she needs to hatch those babies. If she does not accept the move and goes off the eggs then I'll be at a loss.

I really, really want these chicks
hmm.png

PS: I cleaned off the gummy egg yolk on her chest & feathers, was happy to feel her full crop - I guess she's doing fine after all?

Back
Top Bottom