Yolk or white?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Ok, something has been puzzling me- growing up i was taught the yolk was the nutritious part of the egg- now they say its the white- which i don't care for...
smile.png
what is it?

"The white of a large egg, or about 1-1/4 ounces, has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

The yolk of that egg weighs about 2/3 of an ounce, and has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates" from: http://www.ochef.com/950.htm

My
take on it is that a yolk is more nutritious as well as contains less allergens. That's why yolk is approved as being one of a baby's first foods. However, the yolk also has cholesterol.

**Now the debate starts with... Are farm fresh eggs from chickens that have access to free range more healthy for you? I've read that they have less 'bad' cholesterol and have more good cholesterol as well as having more Omega 3's and such...

I JUST EAT THE WHOLE EGG! Preferably over easy with a biscuit to sop up the yolk. Yummmmmm!

Not all cholesterol is bad though, and your body needs some cholesterol to function properly. Cholesterol is the precurser to vitamin D...which your body needs. Without cholestrol your body cannot utilize vitamin D

New research points to the WAY an animal being raised impacting its nutritional makeup.

Pastured poultry and eggs (or beef for that matter) have better ratios of fatty acids and less cholesterol than animals that are only grain fed or grain finished.

There's a lot of information out there, but basically if you let an animal do what it was created/has evolved to do, it'll be healthier in life and as food.

Back
Top Bottom