Yolk sack

Leah Bratton

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
I was on here yesterday with my newborn chick with the yolk sack. She’s still doing good but she’s weak.ive separated her from the other chicks and have keeps the pin clean. Anything else I can do?

Attachments

• 5289DB38-2475-48B0-91B2-37A6DED95924.jpeg
    5289DB38-2475-48B0-91B2-37A6DED95924.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 6
I had a newborn yesterday that was born to fast due to a new mother. I’m pretty sure it’s a yolk sack but can anybody confirm? I’ve kept it clean and dry and she a little weak. Please help!!

How is the chick doing?

All you can do is keep it clean, apply a little Bacitracin on the exposed sac, keep her warm and on clean bedding like a puppy pad.
I would try giving her a couple of drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day and drops of water throughout the day.
I'm sorry that's she's weak, sadly she may not make it.

The hen/pullet being a new mother had nothing to do with the chick hatching too fast. The mother is an incubator. During the last few days of incubation, a chick begins to absorb the yolk sac into the abdomen. This allows them to have energy to pip/zip and hatch and also sustains them for a few days once they hatch so they can go without food/water.
Anyway - sometimes a chick's timing is off for some reason and they hatch before they are ready. It happens.

How is the chick doing?

All you can do is keep it clean, apply a little Bacitracin on the exposed sac, keep her warm and on clean bedding like a puppy pad.
I would try giving her a couple of drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day and drops of water throughout the day.
I'm sorry that's she's weak, sadly she may not make it.

The hen/pullet being a new mother had nothing to do with the chick hatching too fast. The mother is an incubator. During the last few days of incubation, a chick begins to absorb the yolk sac into the abdomen. This allows them to have energy to pip/zip and hatch and also sustains them for a few days once they hatch so they can go without food/water.
Anyway - sometimes a chick's timing is off for some reason and they hatch before they are ready. It happens.
The mother Packed the egg open and attacked it when she was hatching so she was the reason it hurts too early but she is doing amazing thank you for asking. She’s is full of energy and exited to finally be able to have some friends with her!!

The mother Packed the egg open and attacked it when she was hatching so she was the reason it hurts too early but she is doing amazing thank you for asking. She’s is full of energy and exited to finally be able to have some friends with her!!

Attachments

• 29E184F2-0FC5-4149-A5BC-0D0E02DC9225.jpeg
    29E184F2-0FC5-4149-A5BC-0D0E02DC9225.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 14F8D826-E895-455B-805F-088643428CD8.jpeg
    14F8D826-E895-455B-805F-088643428CD8.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom