Yolkless and Shelless Egg...Normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hokankai, Dec 28, 2010.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So today I was cleaning off the dropping board and saw a really strange looking poo. It was all white and it looked weird, so naturally I squished it with my scraper to see what it was. It turned out to be a MAJOR failure of an egg. There's no shell or yolk, just white surrounded by membrane. Is this normal? I have 8 girls, 5 which started laying within the last week and a half, 2 that could start any day, and 1 that isn't even close. Could it be a first egg from one of the 2 "almost there" girls? It obviously wasn't big enough of a deal for them because they pooped it out, haha. Is there any way to prevent this in the future or is it just something that happens?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's very common with new layers. Probably a new girl starting up.

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Yup, normal, just a glitch in the chamber.....I had a shell less egg & just a yolk about a month ago, totally freaky. Then I got 3 shell less eggs just this past weekend (for Christmas morning!) Today I got 8 normal eggs from 8 chickens. Mine have been laying since early Nov but just started to get 8 for 8 last week.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It will happen now and then when they are older, too.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    ok that's what i figured [​IMG] thanks!

I also have another unrelated question...my EE was in the nest box yesterday, but I stupidly threw some scratch down and she left the box. Well she never went back to lay her egg the rest of the day [​IMG]. Is this normal behavior? Shouldn't she still have to lay an egg or something?!

6. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    The first time I had one of those I thought the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by