Yolks not strong

Infinity

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Ocala, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I've read through these threads....didn't quite get answers I needed. I seem to have a number of hens whose yolks on their eggs are very soft. In other words, when they are cracked for fried eggs, the yolks all break. Along with that, I am getting a number of softer shells....when I go to collect, they crumble in my hand. My girls are going on three years, have free feed on oyster shell, Flock Raiser and they are free range during the day.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Older eggs will have weak yolks, otherwise some hens just consistently lay poor quality eggs, usually older birds. Sometimes certain weeds will affect the yolk quality too, and I don't know what's in flockraiser, but things like cottonmeal will as well.

Older eggs will have weak yolks, otherwise some hens just consistently lay poor quality eggs, usually older birds. Sometimes certain weeds will affect the yolk quality too, and I don't know what's in flockraiser, but things like cottonmeal will as well.

I just revisited the label on my Purina Flock Raiser--20% protein. These girls are going on three years and I had incredible production until last fall. Seventeen hens and I am only getting 1-3 eggs daily. Am wondering if the protein is too high. I don't see any awkward ingredients in the feed. Thanks.

Most chickens do fine with 20% protein if they are getting extra stuff like scratch, corn, extra scraps and free range because the extra protein gets offset by those lower protein items.

Do you provide oyster shells free choice in a separate bowl? Sometimes as they resume laying there can be some off eggs as the system gets going, if it's more than one bird it has to either be something they all eat or some diseases will cause problems with the eggs.

Most chickens do fine with 20% protein if they are getting extra stuff like scratch, corn, extra scraps and free range because the extra protein gets offset by those lower protein items.

Do you provide oyster shells free choice in a separate bowl? Sometimes as they resume laying there can be some off eggs as the system gets going, if it's more than one bird it has to either be something they all eat or some diseases will cause problems with the eggs.

They have gravity feeder of oyster shell. I hand toss scratch for a treat and they are free range from sunup to sundown. I know I have a couple of egg eaters in the bunch, but I cannot catch them. I know they don't eat THAT many eggs!!

What breeds are they? They could be getting at the end of their laying, my older girls are prone to wonky eggs. Are yours sex links?

They have improved in the last 3 weeks. Maybe more bugs to eat...I don't know. I have a mixed flock: brahma, polish, wyandotte, OE, EE, CCLB

That is odd, it could potentially be something they are consuming. Or a deficiency. As they laying season goes on egg quality will diminish on some hens eggs, I have had a few crumbly eggs in the last couple of weeks too. Wish I could be more help. There's not a lot of information out there on yolk quality. Most of what I read says it's from a feed quality issue. Maybe you had a bad batch or some older feed.

Back
Top Bottom