Yolks on top??? Normal??

JMcGuire

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
sackets harbor, NY
This is my first hatch and I'm kinda freaking out....I got some silkie eggs shipped to me and did all my research beforehand. BUT all the videos of candy in I've seen show the yolks at the bottom or pointy part of the eggs, and mine are all at the tops or rounder parts. Are they turning the egg for candling, are my eggs different because they were shipped, or am I NUTS?!?! I have more than half developing nicely so far as I can see but it's only day 6 and the embryos are def near the yolks. Advice? Any would be appreciated.

This is my first hatch and I'm kinda freaking out....I got some silkie eggs shipped to me and did all my research beforehand. BUT all the videos of candy in I've seen show the yolks at the bottom or pointy part of the eggs, and mine are all at the tops or rounder parts. Are they turning the egg for candling, are my eggs different because they were shipped, or am I NUTS?!?! I have more than half developing nicely so far as I can see but it's only day 6 and the embryos are def near the yolks. Advice? Any would be appreciated.
Not sure what you are seeing. It all depends on where you hold your light for candling as to what you will see and what it will look like. If you candle from the bottom everything will look like it is at the top and the bottom is clear. If you hold and candle on the side you will see the yolk and developing chick basically in the middle. If you candle from the top or at an angle from the top you will see the air cell and the developing chick midline of the egg. This link has great candling pics and you can see how they are holding the eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

And this is a chart that shows the development in the egg:

Not sure if any of that helps.

Not sure what you are seeing. It all depends on where you hold your light for candling as to what you will see and what it will look like. If you candle from the bottom everything will look like it is at the top and the bottom is clear. If you hold and candle on the side you will see the yolk and developing chick basically in the middle. If you candle from the top or at an angle from the top you will see the air cell and the developing chick midline of the egg. This link has great candling pics and you can see how they are holding the eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation And this is a chart that shows the development in the egg: Not sure if any of that helps.
I appreciate the advice but it's not the way I'm holding it. The embryos are growing inside the yolk or next to them, at the top or round end :( I don't know what that means :(

I appreciate the advice but it's not the way I'm holding it. The embryos are growing inside the yolk or next to them, at the top or round end
sad.png
I don't know what that means
sad.png
Are you seeing your air cells??

With shipped eggs, the air cells could have been dislodged and they could be floating. Did you let them sit round end up w/o turning for at least 24 hours and are you incubating them in egg cartons or turners?

So I SWEAR I'm not this stupid...but amylynn...you were totally right! I added a foam piece to my led flashlight so maybe I could look thru the top, and you nailed it. I'm a complete idiot and can't believe I made that mistake after all I researched! ***face palm*** Yesterdat i thought i had 10 confirmed, turns out i have 16! Geez! Thanks again!

The chick developes on the surface of the yolk.

The yolks are usually near the top blunt end of the egg and not down in the pointed end that I have ever seen.

Not sure what you are seeing but if a majority of them are the same I would guess it is normal. I doubt a bunch of your eggs would do something abnormal or unusual.

So I SWEAR I'm not this stupid...but amylynn...you were totally right! I added a foam piece to my led flashlight so maybe I could look thru the top, and you nailed it. I'm a complete idiot and can't believe I made that mistake after all I researched! ***face palm*** Yesterdat i thought i had 10 confirmed, turns out i have 16! Geez! Thanks again!
You're not the first to mistake what you were seeing. It's a learning curve....now you are on to the next curve....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom