Yolks that won't whisk together for scramble and are firmer than the normal yolk

The pullet that was laying in the middle of the night has been laying during the day now that all of the pullets have started laying and lay during the day. My silkie laid last night but this is only her 3rd egg and I believe she is trying to work this egg laying thing out. This is what I was hoping was the cause but I wasn't sure. Thank you all so much

Yes I do keep my eggs in the fridge and there is a possibility that they froze partially in the nesting box as I had one pullet that would come down off the roost to lay in the middle of the night. I am really happy to hear that you've experienced this! Any thoughts on how to recognize this before adding to a recipe or large amount of eggs, other than whisking each egg individually? I already crack open each egg in a tiny bowl individually to inspect them before adding to anything

Sorry, no, I would just remove it when I see it. I also crack each egg into a bowl separately when I bake.

The reason I asked about the possibility of being frozen is that one of my pullets was laying in the middle of the night, every night, in the nest box. I didn't notice any broken, cracked or busted eggs though
Egg yolks do go funny if they've been frozen. Maybe one or more eggs froze partway--enough to mess with the yolk, but without breaking the shell.
Yes I do keep my eggs in the fridge and there is a possibility that they froze partially in the nesting box as I had one pullet that would come down off the roost to lay in the middle of the night.
Likely frozen eggs or partially frozen.
I have run into that, but it's been a while.

An experiment would be neat though:D

These eggs do that if they're the least bit cold.
In fact that is the main reason I keep a bowl on the counter for baking because they just don't whisk!
Question, not trying to be a troublemaker ....just curious.
But, are your hens fat?
Do you treat maybe a little bit over what the norm suggests?
That is the other factor iv'e noticed besides temperature, the more portly hens lay the majority of weird eggs.
The more svelte hens that either don't want or can't get treats lay more normal consistency eggs.

Back
Top Bottom