Yolks Very Pale Normal?

RIVERA69R

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
VENICE FL
My chickens started to lay about a month ago now the eggs look great nice strong shells but ive noticed the yolks arent that bright orange color they are quite pale and thoughts on this

Our yolks were very very dark when the girls first started laying, but after a while they got slightly lighter. I wouldn't call them pale though...I think they still look nice. Mine "free range" around the yard in the morning and evening for a little while, so they eat grass, weeds and bugs. Do yours have access to grass/weeds/bugs, etc? I think that's what gives them a nice color. If yours are always in the coop/run, you could feed them greens as a treat.

Give them greens!
thumbsup.gif

Yeah after work they free range my backyard and they get romaine lettuce grapes watermelon and things like that so definetly access to greens my home page has pics of their area

Mine started out pale, then I searched on here and found that foods rich in beta carotene darken the yolks. So I started feeding them dark greens (even though they have weeds in their run) like parsley and swiss chard. Cantaloupe is also high in beta carotene, so they are getting some of that too.

My yolks are a nice color now. Not totally orange yet, but a nice, rich dark yellow/borderline orange.

Back
Top Bottom