Apr 14, 2020
Fort Worth, TX
I bought 2 blue australorp chicks from a pullet bin. Was taking photos of them today and realized one of them has a significantly larger comb and wattles are already coming in. I think it's a roo. I've never had a rooster before. Can yall confirm, and also provide any advice that might be helpful for a first time roo owner? As of now, I'm going to try and keep him with my small flock. Could be good for extra predator protection I guess. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons around 6 months old (both are close to laying, but have not laid yet to my knowledge), 2 Black Australorp pullets around 8 weeks old, and 2 Blue Australorps (1 pullet, and 1 roo??) who are 7 weeks old. If it is a cockerel, is there anything I should do differently when integrating them with my older Buff Orpingtons? They all free range together right now, but I pin them up at night separately. They've been through about 3 weeks of "see don't touch" and are all getting along pretty well. The rooster and my head Orpington have gotten into a couple spats, but no blood. Just a few plucked feathers. (Photos of my flock attached) Thanks in advance for the help!
:th

Attachments

• Australorps - 7 weeks.jpg
    Australorps - 7 weeks.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Blue Australorp Roo - 7 weeks.jpg
    Blue Australorp Roo - 7 weeks.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Blue Australorp Roo and Pullet- 7 weeks.jpg
    Blue Australorp Roo and Pullet- 7 weeks.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 37
  • Buff Orpingtons - 6 months.jpg
    Buff Orpingtons - 6 months.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 36
Does look like a roo, sorry :'( but also! A gorgeous one at that!! I can't give much advice on adding him to the flock, all of the roosters we've ended up keeping have been raised by broody mom's. Some we've kept for a short period just went in the flock with the other pullets, but they were never kept for more than 5-6 months so I'm not sure of different ways to add to keep/raise a nice rooster, I wish you luck with him! :D

It does indeed look like you have 1 of each sex. The older pullets may push him around a bit but it’ll only help him grow into a better rooster.
Thank you! And by "grow into a better rooster" you mean friendlier? Also, is there anything extra I should do to make sure the rooster doesn't get out of my yard? I've read they can be harder to contain.

Does look like a roo, sorry :'( but also! A gorgeous one at that!! I can't give much advice on adding him to the flock, all of the roosters we've ended up keeping have been raised by broody mom's. Some we've kept for a short period just went in the flock with the other pullets, but they were never kept for more than 5-6 months so I'm not sure of different ways to add to keep/raise a nice rooster, I wish you luck with him! :D
Thank you!! I'm hoping he's sweet. I'm going to try and keep him. Hopefully will be a good addition. May even try and hatch some Blue Australorps since he has 1 Blue and 2 Black hens to breed with. Hopefully I can somehow separate the Orpington eggs from the Australorps. Will need a lot more advice when the time comes.

Thank you! And by "grow into a better rooster" you mean friendlier? Also, is there anything extra I should do to make sure the rooster doesn't get out of my yard? I've read they can be harder to contain.

Never had an issue with mine escaping but you could clip a wing if something happens. He’ll treat the hens better as he ages and should be friendlier. Cockerels raised alongside young pullets tend to think they can get their own way, but when pushed about by older pullets/hens they learn respect.

I do mean friendlier, or at least nuetral to humans, which is also much preferred to a mean one! And I've never had an issue with a rooster leaving my yard. I'm in the middle of suburbia (nice sized yard, but surrounded on all sides by neighbors!) and have never had one leave our yard, from Chantecler, Cochin, mix breed etc! Granted never had a small flighty type rooster (like I'd imagine an OEGB, maybe leghorn, or buttercup rooster) generally in my experience once they learn home and their territory they keep to it :) (at least in suburbia!)

How old? Heres what one of my blue australorp mixes looked like at 5 weeks. Shes now 20 weeks and a girl. Australorps get wattles and comb early.
The Blue Australorps are 7 weeks. I’m fairly certain it’s a cockerel now. He’s started to get the attitude of one already. He’s tried to challenge the older hens a few times and runs his little flock of 4.

Back
Top Bottom