'Yote sighting

HnkyDnkyZZFarm

Chirping
Jan 2, 2016
Northern California
Doubles- two of them together this morning, bout the same age, german shepherd sized, healthy.

We're on an ag belt, so we have a lot of local fauna, deer, jack rabbits, quail, turkeys, even a big cat every now and again.

A couple years back we had some juvenile coyotes who passed our property every morning on their way somewhere as well as a granddaddy yote I would see about the same time - 6am or so.

I've seen them take fences like deer. UNSTOPPABLE. They FLY.

There is no money to invest in additional fencing and I'm unsure whether they'll bother with us, since the dogs kick up a fuss, BUT the dogs are not foolproof. In fact they are quite foolish and yotes are scary smart. They know the difference between a fenced dog and a threat. The dogs were barking at them, and they wandered by staring at them like they were stupid They followed the road by the fence in spite of the dogs on the other side and stopped in the orchard across the street and watched the dogs bark for another few minutes.

Not sure if they'll mess with the goats NOW, but come kidding time we'll be a prime target. We may have to move the goat shed in closer into their daytime enclosure where they have better dog coverage. Actually, that's probably not if, but must. It's a five person endeavor and involved braving black widows up the yin yang.

oh boy oh boy. Never a dull moment. I'll try to get a picture if they come back. They are actually quite lovely if we didn't have to persuade them that our lunch isn't their lunch.

We're the remaining bit of what used to be farm land, now suburbia. We're the unincorporated area outside a large town.

Fish and game wont do anything about coyotes unless they're in the town proper. We as far as I've been told - and this was a year or so ago, so it may have changed, that they fell under varmint laws so we could do as we felt necessary, but we're subject to local fire arms laws, so discharging a fire arm is illegal. Puts us in an interesting position.

sling shot.

seriously. It might not kill them, but will for sure leave an impression. at least cause them to make a wide berth around your place, which is ultimately what you'd like.

You know those cheap fireworks? The ones that just flash and pop? They don't like those at all.

I also knew someone who use to shoot deer in their garden with a paintball gun, that was pretty funny and effective

Back
Top Bottom