You’re not a buff Orpington

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
Found a funny little fellow mixed in with my store’s buff Orpington straight run bin.

Hatchery mix up rather than my coworkers this time. They were out back for two days before I brought them out when we had room. All came from the same box.

Maybe a mix breed? Definitely not a pure buff. Not with those funky feathers & beard. I know buffs can sometimes get little black speckles, but usually it’s nothing this drastic.

IMG_4752.jpeg
IMG_4753.jpeg
IMG_4754.jpeg

I wish I could see what this kid grows up to look like.
Alas, this little weirdo will be sold as a buff Orpington to someone who likely won’t know the difference (and then blame us when they find out).

//I don’t need more chicks. I don’t need more chicks. I don’t need more chicks

IMG_4750.jpeg

Hmm

Not the best at identifying combs (+have left work now bye chicky, I’ll see if he’s still there tomorrow)

Easter egger or Americana (ameraucana cross) were my first thoughts. So maybe.

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

Day 2;
The chick has been named Mimic

Her pals are a few pullets I picked up to raise along with her, the Plymouth and olive egger being the same age, the Brahma being a week or so older.

They’re all settling in well, quite content little pals even with the cats being nosy. Since she arrived at the store Saturday, I’m estimating that she hatched this past Thursday putting her at almost a week old. It’s only a guess but it’s how I’ll track her growth. I think I’ll try to post new update pictures every Thursday but we’ll see.

Back
Top Bottom