You call that an egg song?

RedheadErin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
We had Brigid the WOnder Chicken in the house the other night, and she was sitting on the back of the recliner, the way she likes to do. Suddenly she stood up and started singing an egg song.

bok=bok-bok-bok-booooooookkkkkk! bok=bok-bok-bok-booooooookkkkkk!

This chicken has not laid an egg since we got her in July. What the heck?

bok=bok-bok-bok-booooooookkkkkk!

She sang so loud and so hard her whole butt was bouncing to the beat.

bok=bok-bok-bok-booooooookkkkkk!

ANd then she......pooped. *Sigh*

Poor girl!

yuckyuck.gif

As you can tell I spend a lot of time observing my chickens. Thanks to all my chicken watching I can tell you each hen has a different method of announcing their egg. And sometimes they can't seem to decide if they are laying an egg or pooping. Some will pace back and forth along the nest boxes. Some will try each nest box. And some stay in one nest box and rearrange the hay until it is placed just so. Some rush into the coop only to pause then turn around and walk slowly down the ramp only to rush back in a few minutes later.

Then there is Big Sister. A hen of dubious heritage she has always been the most assertive of the group. While she never starts a battle, she will quickly end a confrontation. Even though she has the smallest comb I've ever seen on an adult hen, she has always been a consistent layer of a nice brown egg. Last week, while I was observing the flock, she sauntered about with her feathery bustle touching the ground. Once she ascertained I was tossing out no more treats, she walked among the flock then returned to me. She gazed at me with her lovely brown eyes, parted her bustle, and laid her egg. She gazed at me a moment longer, rearranged her bustle, and sauntered off to join the other gals.

You gotta chickens! And I loved your story!

Brigid is a funny little thing. She WANTS an egg so desperately. I have caught her sitting on the other hens eggs, "nesting" in a flower pot, and fussing over Connor when he got hurt like he was her own baby.

She must have felt a little pressure in her butt and thought, "Oh! Maybe= THIS TIME it's an egg!"

Back
Top Bottom