You had me at "FINISHED COOP" or "Mama learned how to use a skill saw"

Last page! Whew! I think the write up is harder (no, not really).

Girls are in. World is good. I paint, I add trim. Yeah, I add flower boxes. Yeah, I splurge and add wall mounted solar lights. The flower boxes are a little too close to the lights, but I found out that if I lowered the boxes, the east coop door, when opened, would whack it and wouldn't open all the way. Design flaw.

I'm happy to say that the girls seems pretty accepting of it. I'm happier to say that the two months it took (early Feb to beginning April?)' mostly solo, well, my husbands approval and surprise made it also worth it. He has faith in most of my "creative" DIY abilities, but he knew this was a huge project. And he said "well, I saw what you wanted to build, but what a person wants to build vs what they end up with are two different things"....

The final coop (well, I need to landscape)

66264_dsc04957.jpg

(my husband didn't like the idea of me hanging my poop pail from the underside of the nest boxes, saying itd be too crowded and trashy looking, but at this point, i pretty much did what I wanted and overrode his objection! HahahA)

And the view from the fence line if a nosy neighbor peeked over my short fence....hopefully they see a cute kids playhouse!

66264_dsc04970.jpg

Now give me some eggs!

(note, the coop has been up and running for nearly a month. Raccoons have already visit, maybe nightly. They climb the tree, so we need to wrap the tree with slick material so they can't get grip. They hop onto the nest box so they can work on the HC'd window. They broke one of my ceramic mushrooms in the flower box. I had a little garden gnome sitting on the ledge of the window, and they swiped him out, too! Window is secure, they didn't get in, but now I shut the window entirely, and will probably buy some 16 gauge HC for that spot. Little bastards! Can't get in, so they break stuff!)

Thanks for reading....I really did gain so much info for making a more secure coop. So hubby, this is why i wrote a novel!

Last edited:
Love your typed story, love your coop -
and my heart skipped a beat when I read that you cut your finger off!
Don't do that to me again
lol.png

Seriously though, nice work ...
and also loving your multi-level waterer.
ya.gif
jumpy.gif

I am so impressed that you forged ahead and did it without waiting and waiting for hubby's assistance. I am hoping that is what I will be able to do, but am woefully lacking in physical strength at this time. The coop looks teriffic. Congratulations! Chicks Rule!!

Lovely set up!

I think you're right about switching to the 16 gauge wire on the windows. I seriously doubt if a raccoon is going to be able to get through wire of that thickness.

About those poop pails...what I do is dump out the contents of the poop trays straight into our composter (which is right in back of our coop). I stir up the compost to cover the fresh droppings and that pretty much takes care of flies, and if I don't goof and add too much water to the compost there's no odor, either. And come spring, I have all the compost I can use for our garden.

Back
Top Bottom