"You just go down in the morning, and put the chickens in the tractor..."

Chipmunk Chicks

Free Ranging
May 24, 2022
New Jersey, USA
What could possibly go wrong?

We currently have eleven fast-growing chicks! Plus, a charming old ramshackle 5x6 coop waiting for them outside that we need to rehab, with no attached run or anything like that, just a basic coop. DH said he wants to reinforce the coop for night-time and let them free range all day. Which sounds lovely, but we also have predators, (hawks, foxes etc.), and we live on a busy road with a nice big backyard that eventually connects with the neighbors'. Not to mention a big ridiculous dog that I will need to let out a few times a day, and whom with the chickens, I do not trust. I would love to have a nice big attached run with an automatic door, and then let them free range part of the day under supervision, but we are not quite there yet in terms of being on the same page.

We also rent, so whatever work we put into the coop, we will be leaving behind when we move, and we don't necessarily want to set up anything else overly permanent (or ugly) since it's not our property. We've worked our way up to a compromise that he will build me a chicken tractor approx. 7x14 so that it eventually can be loaded onto our trailer and relocated to our new home whenever we move. Great! Except somehow in our chicken management plan, that would entail me personally letting them out of the coop in the morning, and then corralling them all into the tractor for the day, wherever that may be. I would plan to let them free-range in the evening under some level of supervision, before getting them into the coop at night.

My understanding is it's considerably easier to teach chickens to go into the coop to roost at night, than it would be to move them into the tractor / run each day. And also not something I would necessarily expect a chicken-sitter to be able to do for me, should the need / want ever arise, either. So for starters, how would you recommend I go about doing that? I would like to be able to go into the run and basically just call them in. We have Australorps and Welsummers, and going forward I would like other breeds that are easily handled, like to be around their humans etc. I have heard that Speckled Sussex are extremely good like that (and I almost had a flock of them to start out with, but I had to cancel the order), and possibly Marans, Dominiques, Buckeyes, Dorkings? There are other breeds I'm interested in that I'm not as sure would be quite as easy that way, like the Chantecler, Ameraucana etc. And I would imagine a good part of that also comes from how they are raised, but I would still rather start with breeds that will not make that utterly impossible.

Next question would be how much layer-related stuff do I need to put in the tractor? Still put a couple roosts for daytime naps, I'm assuming? And 2-3 nesting boxes in case they decide to lay while they are out there during the day? Dustbath, toys, 2x food, 2x water... I was also planning on having food and water in the coop, we were just not planning on making the tractor like fort knox since it would be primarily for daytime use. It just feels like a lot, like setting up a whole second coop basically, vs. it looks like most cases people are using the tractors for meat birds with just food and water. And then the logistics of moving them into it each day.

Any thoughts or advise how to help this all go as smoothly as possible are appreciated! Thanks!!!

Your opening line describes so many of my poultry "adventures" -- right before I discover what CAN go wrong.

I'm in favor of your compromise to create a chicken tractor. Free-ranging is great; I let my chickens, ducks and geese out every day. BUT, they are confined to the south side of my property where I can see and hear them at all times. Predators are EVERYWHERE, including ground (coyotes and minks, for example) and air (more examples: great horned owls and nearby nesting bald eagles). When I'm not home, everyone is locked into their coops.

@3KillerBs is right, I think. Fashion the tractor so it can be a run, and take it with you when you move. Modify one end so it attaches to the coop, but can be reworked later as a tractor end.

When I first had chickens, I put them in a tractor every day and it was a hassle because I got those girls as adults and they didn't really trust me enough to come to me. I ended up having to crawl into the tractor (hey, I'm kind of short, but not THAT short) and grab them one by one to return them to the coop. That did not increase their trust level.

But as far as getting everyone back into the coop on my schedule and not theirs, food is the great motivator for my birds. I have several coops, and when it's time for everyone to go back into their houses for the night, the sound of the lids coming off the metal garbage cans that store feed brings everyone running. Nearly all of the chickens knows which coop is home, and most willingly and quickly comply because they all love dinner. Petra, a Sapphire Gem, likes to sneak into the red coop. She doesn't live there, but those girls eat first.

However, they do "take turns' being difficult. Currently, one of the Buckeyes has decided she isn't interested in going to bed with her coop mates, and we spend a spirited few minutes every night trying to outwit each other. If tossing a handful of scratch grain into her coop doesn't entice her, I break out the grapes.

Of the breeds you mentioned being interested in adding, my Midnight Majesty Maran is fairly easily handled and lays magnificent eggs; the Buckeyes -- other than Cordelia -- also coop well and lay well. It would be hard to find a chicken that is more people-oriented than my Speckled Sussex; Bronwyn will happily show up wherever I am and likes to "help" me with projects.

Good luck with whatever you decide; keep us posted!

Some people have been successful at training chickens but I've yet to get them to do anything I wanted them to do instead of what they want to do.

I suggest that you use the "tractor" as a run. It will be simpler.
So keep it located up against the coop?

ETA @3KillerBs Sorry it took me a while to get to the rest of my reply, so I will try tagging you! Lol Thank you so much for your input. :)

At some point I'll have to leave it to my husband, but I guess I'm just not sure how to do that. Would you just leave that whole back end open, butt it up against the coop, and then seal / attach it best we can? Or maybe pull it back a bit and connect them with a new chicken door and a chute?

How the coop is positioned on the property, it's surrounded by about a dozen of landlord's project trucks ...and a pear tree. So it makes it a little tricky figuring out how / where to add anything. :/. It's also right on the ridge of the slope there, so next to the coop on the far side it not level

Attachments

• 20220528_072350.jpg
    20220528_072350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So keep it located up against the coop?

That will be much easier than trying to move chickens to and from a tractor and having everything set up inside it.

Tractors are one of those things that tend to sound like a good idea but prove less than practical in most circumstances. :)

Your opening line describes so many of my poultry "adventures" -- right before I discover what CAN go wrong.

I'm in favor of your compromise to create a chicken tractor. Free-ranging is great; I let my chickens, ducks and geese out every day. BUT, they are confined to the south side of my property where I can see and hear them at all times. Predators are EVERYWHERE, including ground (coyotes and minks, for example) and air (more examples: great horned owls and nearby nesting bald eagles). When I'm not home, everyone is locked into their coops.

@3KillerBs is right, I think. Fashion the tractor so it can be a run, and take it with you when you move. Modify one end so it attaches to the coop, but can be reworked later as a tractor end.

When I first had chickens, I put them in a tractor every day and it was a hassle because I got those girls as adults and they didn't really trust me enough to come to me. I ended up having to crawl into the tractor (hey, I'm kind of short, but not THAT short) and grab them one by one to return them to the coop. That did not increase their trust level.

But as far as getting everyone back into the coop on my schedule and not theirs, food is the great motivator for my birds. I have several coops, and when it's time for everyone to go back into their houses for the night, the sound of the lids coming off the metal garbage cans that store feed brings everyone running. Nearly all of the chickens knows which coop is home, and most willingly and quickly comply because they all love dinner. Petra, a Sapphire Gem, likes to sneak into the red coop. She doesn't live there, but those girls eat first.

However, they do "take turns' being difficult. Currently, one of the Buckeyes has decided she isn't interested in going to bed with her coop mates, and we spend a spirited few minutes every night trying to outwit each other. If tossing a handful of scratch grain into her coop doesn't entice her, I break out the grapes.

Of the breeds you mentioned being interested in adding, my Midnight Majesty Maran is fairly easily handled and lays magnificent eggs; the Buckeyes -- other than Cordelia -- also coop well and lay well. It would be hard to find a chicken that is more people-oriented than my Speckled Sussex; Bronwyn will happily show up wherever I am and likes to "help" me with projects.

Good luck with whatever you decide; keep us posted!
Ah! There always has to be one stinker. Lol I am hoping they would be food motivated too, and I agree, I can see how that alone - getting them into the coop at night from the yard - may prove challenging enough!

Thank you too for weighing in on the breeds. I try to do all this research, but I know having them irl is not substitute for reading about them on paper. It sounds like you have a beautiful flock!

I suggest a hoop run made with cattle panels. Extremely easy to build, a just as easy for you to dismantle when the time comes. Here's mine during the construction phase. It's a little more advanced than others. My land sloped several inches, so that's the reason for the added lumber underneath. Lots of different ways of construction. All depends on your climate, snow load. Mine is covered in HC, and completely predator proof. I keep the pop door open yr round, except in very cold and windy conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
I suggest a hoop run made with cattle panels. Extremely easy to build, a just as easy for you to dismantle when the time comes. Here's mine during the construction phase. It's a little more advanced than others. My land sloped several inches, so that's the reason for the added lumber underneath. Lots of different ways of construction. All depends on your climate, snow load. Mine is covered in HC, and completely predator proof. I keep the pop door open yr round, except in very cold and windy conditions.
That looks amazing! Great job!

I guess I should have said, he's doing like a Suscovich inspired kind of thing, but without the conduit. So frame out a box, using 4' width of material for the two sides of the roof, cover with a tarp, and add a door to the front. I agree that something that comes apart as easily as it goes together would be a plus!

That looks amazing! Great job!

I guess I should have said, he's doing like a Suscovich inspired kind of thing, but without the conduit. So frame out a box, using 4' width of material for the two sides of the roof, cover with a tarp, and add a door to the front. I agree that something that comes apart as easily as it goes together would be a plus!
No conduit in this run. Frame is 2x6 lumber, box is 8x12" the panels are simply bent into shape. I used a ridge board to help with snow load.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_145439807.jpg
    IMG_20190317_145439807.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 31

Back
Top Bottom