1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You just never know.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redfeathers, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Some of you may recall my question several weeks back on whether or not I should keep my 7 month old Buff Orp, Rose alive or not. She has always had problems, she was far smaller then the other girls she hatched with, she's mostly blind and had a problem with shaking badly, she couldn't feed herself and all the other chickens pick on her. I started spending more time hand feeding her and giving her some childrens vitamins and vitamin E, I also gave her more black oil sunflower seeds to help her feather growth. There were suggestions on how to help her from members here and I am happy to say they have worked, she is much better and doesn't shake, her vision is still bad but I think she can see a little more now, she finds me and stands on my feet to have me pick her up. She has started to feed herself a little more and has figured out how to find the waterer. Today she actually laid her first egg! I never thought it would happen, honestly two months ago I was agonizing over the decision to keep her alive or not. I'm so glad I did. She still is picked on and I have a small coop we just put together for her to share with one of the chicks we are raising.
    I guess the moral of the story is don't give up, she didn't. Rose is a very special girl, the sweetest of the bunch and I think it's her deficiencies that created a very wonderful pet that I have become very attached to.

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I'm glad you didn't give up on her. She may still come across battles but she has you there to help her.

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    That is such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing with us. I rem. your post when she was younger. You do have a special girl![​IMG]

4. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    You are such a good chicken mommy:jumpy

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Glad to hear it. [​IMG]

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Aww.... I didn't know you thought so much of me! Oh.... you're talking about your chicken.....sorry, I thought you meant me. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I'm glad Rose is doing so well. Warms the heart to know you cared enough to get her thru her health issues. You deserve a great big pat on the back.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Excellent! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    It is good to hear that your hen has done so well. I hope that she continues to thrive.

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by