1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You know you have it bad when.......

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Nov 5, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    You spend a whole day shopping and it's all for your animals! [​IMG]

First stop was the feed store. 125# of feed and grit.

Next pet shop...
    New dish for dogs, toys, treats...

Swap Meet!
    Now this is where it really got bad!! [​IMG]
    Normally I'm on the look out for shelves and totes to organize my craft room.. gifts...or things in general we may need or a treat for me. Our swap meet is a combo of new and old.

But no! Today all I could think of was will that crib make a good coop? How bout that for a cage... and such! It was all quail and chickens today! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I did find a killer deal on a cage or to be used as brooder!!
    A large cage, the type used for rabbits and such for $15 !!!! Our month old chickens will go it!! It's about 3' long! I was so excited about that find!!! [​IMG]
    I'll add a pic tomorrow after it's cleaned up!

I told hubby next week we need to go back to find a chicken coop. You should have seen the look he gave me! [​IMG] I think I drove him nuts today!!! [​IMG]

2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Nice find!

..and yes! you've got it bad!! I certainly did not spend my day doing that!!

[​IMG] I spent part of yesterday after work doing those things! [​IMG]

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Are we long lost twins?:-D I go to goodwill, buy lights for the chicken coop, crock pots to keep their water warm, even baby clothes for the baby goats in winter. Any bread box is a potential nest box. I made a magazine rack into a nest box last week. Cages, dishes, you just never know what the pets will get this week.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yes! I am with you on this! [​IMG] I am happy if I have $2 left in my account! [​IMG]

5. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG] My family is the same way...bad thing we're both enablers...so no voice of reason in our family when it comes to our birds! [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Same here...I tell the hubby I am on may way out to do the grocery shopping and all I ever come home with is bird supplies!! He says, "Those birds eat better than I do!!" [​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sounds like I'm not alone here!! [​IMG]

navasima Part of why I spent the whole day doing bird errands was I had hubby with me for the first time in months! His work schedule has been nuts, and I wanted the muscle to help load and carry! [​IMG]

Hot2Pot
    Are we long lost twins?

I'm thinking we may be close! [​IMG].. A few weeks ago I got a great small hamster cage for $6 that is perfect for brooding buttons or a few cots, or hosp. cage....
    We have a goodwill right next to Wal Mart where I go every week anyway!! Same shopping center! Now how easy is that!

[​IMG] Quaillady's in too! lol... I love getting treats and bargains for the animals!
    I found a utility sink for $30, ($50 new) but there wasn't room in the jeep!!! [​IMG] We still had 150 # of feed and other stuff in it when we got to the swap meet.
    I thought about strapping my son to the roof [​IMG] , but thought there may be laws against it. [​IMG]

bfrancis That's gotta be tough if your both enablers! [​IMG]
    My DH enjoys the birds and does like shopping for the animals too... But I wouldn't say he's an enabler ... Very close though! [​IMG]

twocrowsranch Same here! [​IMG]
    My best friend laughs at how good the birds eat compared to us, and I'm always cooking for them! LOL!
    I just got a bag of 15 bean soup to cook up and my son says..."It's all for the birds" [​IMG]
    I got a second bag for him! [​IMG]

I can't wait to get out the door to get pet supplies, but dread grocery shopping! [​IMG]

8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Here's my bargians I got recently...

This is 40" long, 18" tall and 22" wide... Love it!
    Very heavy wire!!! $15 swap meet find, one smaller , not near as heavy at Pets mart, $39
    Quaillady, the little black chick is what we hatched out of your eggs. "Dandy" the EE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the $6 Hamster cage.. even had wheel, but I didn't think my button would use it so I took it out. lol...
    It's almost the size of a 10 gal. tank and taller.

[​IMG]

Anyone else have bargiean and great finds they'd like to share!?! Please do!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by