You know you love your chickens when...

You know you love your chickens when your parents call from Florida and know to ask about the grandchickens before they ask about the grandchildren.

When you go out to catch fish and bring them home just for them.
yippiechickie.gif

That was such a great book. But I don't remembe them dressing the chicken rather it got killed.

You're lying in bed at night and cannot get to sleep BECAUSE you didn't bring one of the chickees to bed with you. I have three that are pullets about 3 months old. Almost every night I climb into bed but remain sleepless until I finally get up and go into the chick's indoor cage and talk to them a bit, choosing the one that seems to be most interested to hop on my hand and be carried to my bedside. Realizing that they are somewhat messy I place a nice, fluffy towel next to my pillow and down the bed aways. Two of the three like to nestle down on my arm with their beaks resting just under my ear and when I pull the sheet over them they are almost instantly asleep.

Why do I do this? I have no great explanation except that each day they grow more and more beautiful, and it is good for them to get to know me as a friend and protector. During the day they forage in the back yard and sometimes I place them in their hut/run so that they get used to those surroundings for when they start laying. They're so pampered that if there really is such a thing as reincarnation, I want to come back as one of my chickens!

And perhaps I have been 'teched' a bit in the haid. I thought when I purchased these little girls that they would be just a few birds wandering around the yard, but somehow they have captured my heart. I don't have any recent photos to post. Perhaps tomorrow I will get out the camera and come back to this thread and leave a photo or two.

I started out with four little babies, but one day I forgot that the ferret was asleep under the ottoman and when he awakened to the peep, peep, peep he came out and got to the B. Australorp before I could catch him, so now I'm down to three who get the greatest care and attention, and protection from another possible ferret attack.

The remaining three are a Buff Orpington, Barred P. Rock, and a Red Sex-link. The BPR is the most outgoing and friendly, but she likes to wander around on the bed during the night when I am fast asleep. The other two nestle right down on my arm and lay their head on my cheek soon to close their eyes and stay there all night.

Does this mean I love my little chickees? I guess so. They sure get special treatment. I even mix up a customized feed for them using rolled oats, corn meal, cracked popcorn kernels, egg shells (powdered), wheat berries (grains), some pasture feed, COOKED rice, fish food pellets and Cheerios. They really like this, especially the rolled oats. I add this to their scratch/layer mixture that I purchase from the feed store. Once in a while I go to Wal-Mart and buy for them some earthworms (in the fishing dept.). This is what they really like...it is a bit gross watching them tear at the worm for their piece of the treat, but it is like candy to them.

Frogstomper

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom