You know you're a backyard chicken owner when...

Pics
When you accidentally wear your coop flip flops to work and the trail on the carpet leads maintenance to your desk.

When you empty your coat pockets at work and find the egg you lost last night.

When your desktop background stops people in their tracks to ask when you started keeping turkeys (NNs lol).

When your son's middleschool teacher approaches him & asks if his Mom sells fresh eggs... when your elementary school student calls home because he accidentally wore his coop boots to school & is embarassed because they smell like, well a chicken coop! When at a family party a family member asks if it's ok to store eggs on the counter & the whole family gathers around to hear your explanation of a bloom on an egg.

When your son's middleschool teacher approaches him & asks if his Mom sells fresh eggs... when your elementary school student calls home because he accidentally wore his coop boots to school & is embarassed because they smell like, well a chicken coop! When at a family party a family member asks if it's ok to store eggs on the counter & the whole family gathers around to hear your explanation of a bloom on an egg.
We homeschool so mine wear there boots in all the time.. :rolleyes:
Know the family gathering around thing well tho! :lau

@orrpeople please come tell about your three chicks that have wrapped the entire family around their little toes?:fl
Three Ayam Cemani chicks were hatched from a batch of shipped eggs. At 5 weeks old, they were sent outside to our portable chicken tractor. The first night they cried and cried (not abnormal) while I was locking up the other coops. So, when I was finished, I opened the tractor top and tried to persuade them to stay on the sheltered perch inside. They were having none of it - jumping down, making many tantrum-like statements, and giving me those dark little stink-eyes! So, I went inside, grabbed a box and filled it with chips and straw to take out as an alternative sleeping environment (after all, it was getting chilly and it was their first night outside).
They didn't object to the box, but were still complaining loudly as I maneuvered myself inside the tractor (3' tall) and attempted to quiet them. I put my hand over them and began to talk. Immediately, their cries of protest turned to purrs of contentment. I spent another few moments (okay, there may have been a bedtime story and a lullaby in there somewhere) and snuck out of the tractor, and ever-so-silently shut the top door. The whole time I chided myself for being such a push-over.

The next evening DD was assisting in the chicken night time routine. I heard the three babies begin to yell, so I asked her to hop in and "tuck them in." She rolled her eyes with a significant air of disgust, and walked over to the tractor. I continued on with my chores until I heard her exclaim, "Mom!! They're SO sweet!" They had run right up to her and she had them all snuggled up in their box, under their straw. They were making sweet peeping sounds and my DD was putty in their claws!

The following evening, again, their cries were reaching fever-pitch. DH had come outside with me to set some rat traps. He heard them and went over to investigate. Again, I finished my chores and walked over to see why DH was still standing next to the tractor.

He had all three in his hands. They were purring away as he was using the voice reserved for babies and puppies. And... yet another member of the family was wrapped around their scaly little toes!

Three Ayam Cemani chicks were hatched from a batch of shipped eggs. At 5 weeks old, they were sent outside to our portable chicken tractor. The first night they cried and cried (not abnormal) while I was locking up the other coops. So, when I was finished, I opened the tractor top and tried to persuade them to stay on the sheltered perch inside. They were having none of it - jumping down, making many tantrum-like statements, and giving me those dark little stink-eyes! So, I went inside, grabbed a box and filled it with chips and straw to take out as an alternative sleeping environment (after all, it was getting chilly and it was their first night outside).
They didn't object to the box, but were still complaining loudly as I maneuvered myself inside the tractor (3' tall) and attempted to quiet them. I put my hand over them and began to talk. Immediately, their cries of protest turned to purrs of contentment. I spent another few moments (okay, there may have been a bedtime story and a lullaby in there somewhere) and snuck out of the tractor, and ever-so-silently shut the top door. The whole time I chided myself for being such a push-over.

The next evening DD was assisting in the chicken night time routine. I heard the three babies begin to yell, so I asked her to hop in and "tuck them in." She rolled her eyes with a significant air of disgust, and walked over to the tractor. I continued on with my chores until I heard her exclaim, "Mom!! They're SO sweet!" They had run right up to her and she had them all snuggled up in their box, under their straw. They were making sweet peeping sounds and my DD was putty in their claws!

The following evening, again, their cries were reaching fever-pitch. DH had come outside with me to set some rat traps. He heard them and went over to investigate. Again, I finished my chores and walked over to see why DH was still standing next to the tractor.

He had all three in his hands. They were purring away as he was using the voice reserved for babies and puppies. And... yet another member of the family was wrapped around their scaly little toes!
Yes, my wonderful friend, you are a backyard chicken owner! :lau
Thank you Orr! I just love that story! :hugs

I don't have any chickens. . yet. . but guilty of almost all of the above with my ducks :lau
How about seriously considering buying a baby monitor with a camera cause I just need to know what's going on in the duck house at night :D :gig

GASP! They make baby monitors with cameras now?! (yea, Im old lol)
I'm looking them up...I LOVE that idea!!

Back
Top Bottom