You know you're a backyard chicken owner when...

Pics
They are so funny, mine don't like my purple ones with a pink design. I tried a plain gray pair they were fine. They were actually attacking the purple ones. :celebrate
I Guess its just not natural to them. I can doing anything I want with just my hands, but when I have the yellow poop scooping gloves on it's, aLL HANDS ON DECK!!...LOL

When you go out of town for a week at Christmas time and find out that you missed a call from the young man taking care of the house (chickens and fish) at 5:00 pm. It's now 9:45 pm, you text him and find out one of the hens is missing. You tell him, she probably just flew out of the run (because there are two hens who can get over the 4' fencing) and is roosting in the bushes. You also ask him to go back with a flashlight to look and be sure.

Meanwhile back at the hotel you're crying your eyes out because you just know she had to have gotten out of the yard and into the neighbor's yard, or got hurt, or eaten. You just know you'll never see her again. Then you hear back that the chicken still can't be found.

The next morning you get a text that says, "All the chickens are here. It's a Christmas miracle." And you cry your eyes out again because you're so relieved!

We fixed the fencing as soon as we got home. It's now 7' high and there are still the same two hens who can get over it!!!

When you make yourself a salad for lunch.... and one for the chicks and one for the hens. Wish I took a pic. It made me laugh at myself today, a bowl for my salad and two stainless plates beside. We ate the same except I added one or two non-chicken-friendly bits to finish mine. (Theirs were all scraps, though, but their food looked identical to mine) :lau

Last edited:
I offered to take it if they couldn't find the home! She was a pretty bard rock pullet too.... But I guess they had a rescue step up to take it already.
Careful what you wish for, since people found out I rescued all those Ducks we have ended up with a wide variety of dump and run animals in the driveway. Including a snake:lau:gig:rant:rant:barnie

Careful what you wish for, since people found out I rescued all those Ducks we have ended up with a wide variety of dump and run animals in the driveway. Including a snake:lau:gig:rant:rant:barnie
I wouldn't mind if someone dumped a horse on me. I'd just have to keep it then. :lol:

I haven't had many dump cases yet, thank goodness. Bad for biosecurity.

Back
Top Bottom