You must be kidding!

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
So I just got a pm from a friend about fish meal. She says it's in a 50 pound bag. I asked where would you get a 50 pound bag of fish meal. Now I have physical limitations so I said I swear they're out to kill me. I already have to ask to have stuff put in the car for me. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is to have a 125# teenager carry a 50 pound bag of scratch to my car? And that's just the girls. I mean come on. One guy loaded stuff for me and he had an oxygen tube! (just kidding) But there are women loading bags of scratch.

Then I thought about how I was at TSC and they had 40 pound bags of cat litter and I thought "just how big is this cat that it needs 40 pounds of litter"? I said with a cat that big I guess you don't have a rodent problem do you? In fact I bet you don't have a predator problem either unless it's a bear!

Well sorry I just think to much sometimes.

Rancher

Yes that must be hard to deal with but you can't help your disabilities. I recently had to call my son at work to pick my sorry rear end up off the floor. That was embarrasing. I used to laugh at that old TV ad where the old lady said I've fallen and I cant get up. Now I am that old lady. LOL Although last time I fell I managed to get up. I have trouble lifting a 12 pack of pop. I guess we learn to cope with whatever hand we are dealt and be thankful it isn't worse. I miss those days when I could tear around Queen Ann hill in Seattle on my BSA Thunderbolt , I could walk for miles, hop freights and was a very strong person. But thats all water under the bridge now and I have to be OK with what I can do. Dont be too hard on yourself and dont mourn too long for the stronger man you used to be you arent that guy anymore but your wonderful family still loves you and thats true treasure.

Why, I go in the store, find the best looking feller and ask him to help load my feed. I ain't ashamed of it. Not at all. I did my loading and lifting as a young woman and as a result I now need help with those heavy bags. I had my turn now it's somebody elses.

I recently lost a lot of weight, and when the weight came off, so did all the muscle! I couldn't carry a 40lb bag of sweet PDZ, pellet bedding, or 50lb feed to save my life, let alone to the second floor of my house where my ducks reside (They have their own room/pen). Luckily I started working out and got back some muscle so I can at least put the feed/bedding into the car form a cart and sometimes into the house. On a few occasions I had to carry a feed bag up the stairs by myself but managed (while my other half was out of town)... Of course when there's like 300lbs of bedding/feed that needs to go upstairs I just tell him "I'm too weak!" lol, and leave it all for him to do.... (It's extra funny because he's a short squat asian man, lol)

A year ago I could throw bags of feed around and carry them as far as needed...But after tearing the tendon in my left elbow- I lost all strength in that arm...I cant even open the lid on a glass jar of food.. And now since I have been compensating for the damaged left and painful arm - the right elbow is heading the same way- I feel old and useless some days- as I cant do so much that used to be so easy. I go to two feed stores- One where there are some men who happily load my car- But then I still have to unload when I get home- and they actually cost a little more than the second store. When I go to the second- I use a little trolley they provide- slide the bags on- and somehow manage to get them to the car- When I get home I open the bags in the back of the car and empty the contents into buckets so I can carry smaller loads to the storage bins where it it kept. It takes longer- but at least I still keep my independance.

When I go to the grocery store, I always think it's funny when I get half a tiny, plastic bag of stuff and they ask if I need help with it. I'm 6'2 and 240 pounds. I've lifted weights, off and on, for almost 25 years. My upper arms are as big around as my neck!

"No, I think I can get this. [with a look at the tiny, bagger girl] You wanna spot me?" then I lift the bag, like it's fairly heavy "puff puff puff HNNNNN".

The checker will laugh politely and say "We have to ask." It's like asking the guy with an oxygen tube, for his ID when he's buying beer.

Truthfully I save the small plastic cat litter containers wash them out and fill them with the feed and then I can carry them to the coop. In the winter I use the plastic milk jugs to refill the water feeders. Next year I hope to have a nipple set up so the floor stayes dry.

Personally...

I'm a large female that is able to lift ALOT of weight. Several men in the store can't lift nearly as much as I can safely. I'm ok with that. Funny times are when you see these teenage girls with a bag of dog food (20lbs. at the most) ask if they can have a cute guy carry out the bag.

"Sorry, but all the cute guys are on break. I'll be more than happy to help you out with this." I then proceed to carry it to their cars. The giddiness all gone from them.

I get a kick out of it, but if it's too heavy...no way on earth can I even think about it. I'll get a stronger guy to help. Why strain myself when he can lift it easily?

the trouble with bone problems is they aren't alway apparent. When I went to the show at the NYS fair my back and legs started to hurt so much just from walking around I nearly called my DW to come and get me cuz I wasn't sure I could drive home. Anyhow I have modified things at home to deal with things.
Most of the women are nice. i just worry that if they aren't careful things will catch up with them. Never lift anything you can cart around easier.

Back
Top Bottom