You need to know this

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I recently received a medical bill. As you know some doctors offices have billing companies do their billing.

In looking at this recent bill, one I had just paid the balance on, I noticed there was a charge for something apparently done last July 2014.

However I knew I hadn't had it done. The billing company billed our insurance of course and billed me for the balance.

I called and asked about it since I didn't recognize the doctors name. Certainly NOT my doctor. They explained it was for "lab" work and the doctor was the pathologist.

I informed them that I do not have lab work done in office but by an outside lab.

I also explained that I save ALL statements and that this charge had never shown up before.

Mind you this "bill date" was 6/29/15 but the so called test was 07 of last year. She said the insurance had finally paid on the charge. ONE YEAR LATER?

She said she'd look into it and get back to me. Which she did and stated that the charge was an error and they would have to refund the payment to the insurance company.

SO MY POINT?

DO NOT simply pay a medical bill if there looks to be a mistake. (this bill was less than $10)

DO NOT toss your statements for medical bills. Keep a file.

If you make partial payments STILL KEEP THOSE STATEMENTS. Write on the statement the amount you're paying the check/money order number and date it.

I keep a file for each family member and match bills to insurance statements.

If you don't know your copays call your insurance company. DD just told me she'd been being charged the wrong copay by her doctors office. Do not trust the doctors office. I don't think they do it purposely but they do make mistakes.

Had I simply paid the bill, I and the insurance company would have been cheated. We did recently change health insurance companies.

I have a very common name as does DW. Keep an eye on our credit record too.

Too if you can't pay the entire balance don't hesitate to call the billing office and explain your circumstances. Do not ignore your bills. I write a note and mail it with partial payments. While they say they'll note the account they DO NOT always.

We all pay more when these types of mistakes happen.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Last edited:
Good reminder. I think that often in the beurocracy of the medical field, patients are often overcharged. They pay for the appointment, for the x-ray and the lab tests, and then for someone to interpret those tests. A simple procedure can trigger an avalanche of billing from multiple sources. And without knowing how the system works, or how to question if the billing is correct, we do get overcharged. Then, there's the unethical shenanigans played between insurance companies and providers of both health care and medical equipment.

This type of thing is very easy with Medicare and Medicaid. People complain about the government cheating us but many times it's the private individual who cheats as well.

Today's paper has an article about patients with Alzheimers being cheated.

Being a senior I intend to turn this over to my daughter at some point.

As it is now I send her copies of retirement and insurance papers so when I go someone will know what is what.

I simply don't pay my medical bills, can't afford obamacare \ don't want obamacare, and sadly can't afford to pay so collections it is.

I simply don't pay my medical bills, can't afford obamacare \ don't want obamacare, and sadly can't afford to pay so collections it is.

Well now I don't know what to say, but will say this.

It's one thing to not be ABLE to pay your medical bills, it's a completely different thing to REFUSE to pay them.

As I stated a person should call their providers and send something each month until the balance is paid. For one month everyone got $5. As one bill got paid off everyone else who was left got more. I budget a certain amount for medical bills each month. Divide that up and pay everyone the same amount.

Many times folks say "I can't afford" this or that but can afford other non necessary things. It's all about priorities.

When my wife was diagnosed with B. Cancer and we knew money would get tight, I began to downsize my flock immediately to one that was more manageable. This past winter I had one coop that sat empty.

My kids don't have health insurance either but budget money for medical bills and put it in an account, so money is there when one of the kids needs to go to the doctor.

Doctors and nurses have bills to pay too. When folks don't pay the bill they're cheating others out of money.

You can avoid collections by making small payments consistently each month. Too consumer counseling can help. It's all about having the right priorities.

Well now I don't know what to say, but will say this. 

It's one thing to not be ABLE to pay your medical bills, it's a completely different thing to REFUSE to pay them. 

As I stated a person should call their providers and send something each month until the balance is paid.  For one month everyone got $5. As one bill got paid off everyone else who was left got more. I budget  a certain amount for medical bills each month. Divide that up and pay everyone the same amount. 

Many times folks say "I can't afford" this or that but can afford other non necessary things. It's all about priorities. 

When my wife was diagnosed with B. Cancer and we knew money would get tight, I began to downsize my flock immediately to one that was more manageable.  This past winter I had one coop that sat empty. 

My kids don't have health insurance either but budget money for medical bills and put it in an account, so money is there when one of the kids needs to go to the doctor. 

Doctors and nurses have bills to pay too. When folks don't pay the bill they're cheating others out of money.  

You can avoid collections by making small payments consistently each month.  Too consumer counseling can help. It's all about having the right priorities. 

I understand what you're saying, the truth is though hospital bills are way too over inflated. They charge thousands for a one time scan, that's thousands I DO NOT have, and if I did I still wouldn't pay. Why? Because I have a family I have to support first.

5-10k for a scan is ridiculous, you can go do the same thing for a more manageable price in another country, its sad really.

Yes doctors and nurses deserve pay, and I have paid some of my bills, but some I cannot.

I understand what you're saying, the truth is though hospital bills are way too over inflated. They charge thousands for a one time scan, that's thousands I DO NOT have, and if I did I still wouldn't pay. Why? Because I have a family I have to support first.

5-10k for a scan is ridiculous, you can go do the same thing for a more manageable price in another country, its sad really.

Yes doctors and nurses deserve pay, and I have paid some of my bills, but some I cannot.
As I said pay what you can afford each month. Not payings others get cheated. Technicians and other staff earn a living off what patients pay.

If you don't agree with the price don't have the scan. I refused tests because I couldn't afford them. Skip daily pills. You don't have to have a test just because the doctor says so.

If you can afford to go to another country then perhaps you should, but I suspect like me you can't.

Doctors and nurses and hospital staff don't just deserve to be paid, they too have bills and family to support. Just like you.

How would you feel if your employer cheated you? Said, I have family to support so I'm not paying you this week?

Most health providers will work with you, if you explain your situation.

I'm done here, it's not why I posted my original post.

I wish you well,

Rancher

It's not that I don't want to pay, I just don't have the money. Again it's all inflated. Do you think I would have a test unless I felt it was medically necessary? I did the test because I needed it... And trust me they're not cheated, they get paid well I'm sure.

Last edited:
@rancher hicks What you are stating is good advice.

And I agree, pay something on your bills, don't just default - that is why the prices are so high. Those that are paying, are paying more to cover those that don't pay.

Since we just moved to a new state and we are starting with new doctors/dentists/medical, it is a good time for us to start file folders. I tried in the past but was never able to keep them up to date. I need to get a dedicated spot for the files to live, like a file cabinet.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom