you tell me Cornish or not

body type is a meat bird, but?? what are you feeding them, that can make a difference in growth, plus at what age did you get them chick or started, if you got them as started and they had coxxi, that would also slow them down

I got them at about 3-4 days old I was feeding them 18% for like 2-3 weeks that is what i got from the guy i bought them from and then 16% for 2 weeks and now i went out like 2weeks ago and got some 20% they are starting to get bigger. just slow. I want to get them processed the first week in march I and trying to get them ready but then.
D.gif

When I butcher CX usually my boys (they're usually larger) are done at 8 weeks and the girls around 10.

Yours look like cx to me but I think your feed protein level should have been higher the first few weeks. The difference in that may explain the low weight rate. I would keep them at the higher percentage of feed for sure to start getting some weight on them. You should be able to butcher them like planned. As for your crook necked chicken, if it can still eat, then let it continue to grow. I've had a few that had to be seperated long enough to allow them to gain enough weight for a good butcher size. So don't rule that out either. You can always quarantine that one if you want to salvage him if he starts having a hard time getting trampled or what not, but if he can't eat on his own, I would cull him.

I think you either don't have Cornish or you're wrong about age, I went back and looked at my batch of Cornishx and at 6 weeks of age (which if you got them at 3-4 days old on Dec 18 they'd be 6 weeks old) they would be feathered better on the necks (unless those are older photos you posted).

ETA: I also just looked over my weights and at almost 5 weeks I was getting close to the weights you have now.

Last edited:
pics were just taken last night. they were just little chicks when i got them and still fuzzy. so yes they are like 6-7 weeks that is why i am not sure that i did wrong or if they are Cornish x. but i and feeding them 20% feed for a little over a week. hopping for the best. If i do this again i am going to only buy from a hatchery.

I see you did spend 4 wks on 16 & 18 % that probably hurt some of their growth, but I am still convinced that the strain you recieved was sub par in some way.

AL

Quote:
Hey Bee : I guess what I am getting at is a possible snafu with the parent stock pairings, this does happen sometimes in those large operations.

AL

Back
Top Bottom