you won't believe what happened with my guinea hen

julieschickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
rustburg va
I had a guinea sitting on 17 ( i thought) eggs at the edge of the garden. The garden backs up to the exercise yard for my chickens which is electrified and covered with chicken wire- with the exception of the chainlink gates at the end, which has the electric fence along it. I turned the fence off so the babies would not walk into it when they hatched. They hatched 2 days ago and i tried to catch the mother and then the babies to put them in the brooder if they were to survive. I caught her and then went for the babies. They had scattered in the garden which is deep in grass and were very hard to catch and find. There were 3 of us and we got 14 and could find any more. Several times yesterday, I heard peeping and searched to find any lost babies but could not. This morning I went out to feed my chickens and there in the with the chickens was a guinea baby. The chickens had not killed it and how it got through the night, in the wet grass, as there were several afternoon and evening rain showers, through the gates at the end of the exercise yard and past the electric wire is mind boggling. I took it to the brooder and it is fine. It gets better........ this evening I went down to the enclosed pen where i put the guinea mama, which is 225 ft from the garden spot where she hatched 17 babies. There were 2 other babies in with her!!!!!!!!!!!!! They survived the night also and walked 225 ft to her pen without the dogs or anything getting them and passing several pens of chickens, guineas and turkeys to find their mother.. AMAZING. so. all 17 hatched and somehow made it through the night with no warmth and a rain in thick tall grass. What troopers they are. Sorry this is so long but i had to share it. I would love to hear of any stories like this as most people talk about the babies dying because the mother walks them through the wet grass.
22761_guinea.jpg

Last edited:
Woohoo! Congrats on your babies. Guineas are troopers aren't they? They are awesome. Do you have pics? My keets are supposed to ship TODAY so I'm waiting patiently!

im tickled to have 17/17 that hatched 8 days ago via free range nest. i even rescued one that was abandoned only partially hatched in the nest (despite ants and flies).

i actually gave 3 away today to be hand raised. i think 14 will be plenty. they are tough lil boogers.

Wow, that is one amazing story! That is just awesome and I am so happy that you got all the babies
smile.png

Almost 3 weeks ago we had our first hatch from a free-range nest too. Our hen hatched 17/24 eggs. (3 eggs were not fertile and the other 4 we assume were eaten by a snake) Unfortunately just today we've lost 2 of her white keets. We always have horrible luck with them and have never been able to raise any to adult hood. (Aside from the 2 white adults we have. Also, the hen and keets are kept in a cage where it stays nice and dry.) I think it must be our stock
sad.png

We started out with 14. After a couple of days, we were down to 12. A few days later, 10. Then 8. Now there are 5. One we know got stomped by a duck
sad.png
The rest just disappeared one at a time. The 8 were under mama in the tall grass, and we heard a racket coming out of the yard. We went out to see mama 30 feet up in a tree, the dad pacing in front of the fence that he FORGOT HE COULD FLY OVER, and no sign of babies. I saw something moving in the grass, and suspect it was a raccoon. All we found were the legs of one of the babies. The other 5 showed up from out of nowhere the next morning, and they've been safe for several days now. Mama showed them how to roost on top of the run (they can finally fly a little) and the whole family is actually coming in at night. It's frustrating, because they've always roosted with the chickens, and when the babies came long they decided to stay out in the grass where god knows what could pick off the babies one at a time.

Here they are with the full brood.

family.jpg

Back
Top Bottom