Young Bear

WVchickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Greenbrier Co. WV
I am new to chickens but accustom to having plenty of bears around. Last night a young bear ripped apart the chicken run, he did not seem to be interested in the chickens (safely locked in their house, this time) but some remains of feed that was on the ground inside the fenced run area. This is the second bear problem this spring. I am sure it will not be the end. Does anyone know of some deterrent for the BEAR? I am not interested in repairing fence weekly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NOTE: I do not want a dog at this point in time.

Thanks, Shawn & Sara.

Hi there! Unfortunatly I do not have any advice for you as I am new to the chicken world as well. I noticed though that you are from WV. I am too. Where in WV are you? I never imagined bears would be a problem. I was worried about racoons but not bears.

We have bears in our neighborhood here in Central Florida. I put an electric fence around the entire perimeter of our run and coop. Other then building your run out of concrete blocks and cement there is nothing else other then an electric fence that will deter a bear. It is relatively easy to do and is not very expensive. Got all my materials at Tractor supply.

Hello and thanks to everyone who supplied an answer to the bear problem. Is seems the best solution will be implementing an electric fence. We will try this. I did set the wildlife cam up tonight to catch an image of the little beast if he decides to revisit.

For anyone interested in viewing the Bear from last year, I have posted the video that Sara and I took. They are exciting creatures to observe in their natural habitat. http://youtu.be/wLg_O9MhPPg

BTW
. Mandierae, we are located on a mountain top, overlooking the Greenbrier River, Greenbrier Co.

Cheers

Hang several strips of bacon at several places on the electric fence to give the bear a "proper" introduction to the fence.

I am a cyclist and distance runner, bacon is not an approved food found in the fridge. I will obtain some though and use this tacit. Thanks for the help. Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom