Young birds won't leave coop

mamm7215

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Surrey, British Columbia
Hi everyone. Happy Easter ! I have had my new birds home for a week now but they will not leave the coop to go into the run/yard. I do herd them out the chicken door everyday but for them to stay out I have to close the door. Did I make the coop too comfortable, is the weather a factor ( it's still pretty cool here ) or is this just "normal" ? maybe the run is not roomy enough ?

images

Welcome to BYC!

How old are your birds? If they are still very young, they may be cold if your weather is bad. New birds can be scared of new things and may need to hang out in the coop until they are ready to venture out themselves. If these are adult birds, I wouldn't rush them to come out. They will come out when they are ready. If they are still young, you may need to still offer up heat if it is cold where you are located. Make sure there is nothing scary in the run like flapping tarps, swinging things or noises nearby that are scaring them. Go out in the run with some treats and goodies and sit with them. This will help them to realize that it is not a bad place.

Move slow around them the first couple weeks. Don't pick them up much and don't scare them. They need time to adjust to their new digs and remain quiet for a few weeks.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, your birds are just young and uncertain, they just need some time, chickens don't like change and it will take them awhile to get used to the new surroundings, TwoCrows gave you some good suggestions about getting them used to the outside.

just leave the coop door open, when they are ready they will venture out. 9 weeks sounds fine, 5, maybe not so much. welcome to BYC, plenty of good info here.

Thanks everyone! They really are used to us now. They don't run when we enter the coop anymore and picking them up is very easy. One has moulted her flight feathers and waits for me to come and put her on the roost, all I have to do is put my hand under her and she steps on my arm! We actually made the mistake of building a run only 3 feet high, hubby is going to change that when he gets back. Thanks to all your advise I'll just leave the door open and place their favourite treats in the run. It's very quiet in the run, no tarps of this to rustle, only the hazelnut tree leaves that the run is under.

Oh I forgot to mention that I did end up putting a space heater in the closed off supply side of the coop house. Birds can't disturb it and lots of safety features on the unit. It keeps the chill out of the coop and they are much happier, especially the little one! I keep it on low overnight so the coop stays at about 56 F.

Back
Top Bottom