1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Bourbon Red Turkey sexing question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lozuufy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeon Girl Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    My young bourbon red turkey, probably about 3 months I was completely sure was a female but now she is growing in her adult feathers and some of her breast feathers have white tips and some have black tips. I know that females should have white tipped breast feathers and males should have black, she has both so does this mean she's a girl or a boy? [​IMG]By attitude I'm still assuming she's a female.

Here's a pic of her a week ago, will get a close up of her chest feathers tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. R2elk

R2elk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    From what I can see here, she is a hen. You are correct that the breast feathers on a Bourbon Red hen have a light colored lower edge. The Bourbon Red toms do not have a black lower edge on their breast feathers. The tom's breast feathers are a solid color without a light colored lower edge.

[​IMG]

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeon Girl Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Thanks for the reply, got a couple new pictures of her this morning

this is a closeup of her side feathers, the best one I got because she was moving around allot
    [​IMG]

and here's another pic
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by