Young chick dehydrated from the heat

cukuriku

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
One of our chicks suffered dehydration today, we brought it inside to give it some water into its beak, and it drank. we tried this for a bunch of hours already, and eventually the diarrhea became whitish-blackish and more solid as it began to eat a little. It's still very sleepy but not really panting, and it doesn't sit as it falls asleep, but rather it stands in its place. We're curious how much efforts should be put to continue giving it water, as it is already quite late in the evening by us, and we can't possibly afford to stay up all nite with it. Any suggestions about how to proceed with this chick? Also, we've noticed in general that this particular chick has a slightly crooked beak and also seems to be keeping its head a little crooked (perhaps thats a cause of the dehydration but I figured I'll mention it anyways for the record). Any comments about this?

How old is it? If it is 3 or more weeks old it might be suffering from coccidiosis. Amprollium in the water for 5 days can treat that. If it is just a few days old, it could be a weak chick. Cross beak chickens can get by with water added to a deep bowl (for it's size) into some chick feed, to make it easier for them to eat. It also could have wry neck (crook neck, torticolis) from a vitamin deficiency, head injury, or from the dehydration. Adding electrolytes and vitamins to the water may help. You can add a small pinch of salt and a teaspoonful (5Grams) of sugar to a liter of water as a substitute for electrolytes. Can you get chick vitamins or baby vitamins where you live?

Last edited:
This sounds very helpful but I doubt I could find this around here. I'm such a beginner that I don't even know where to start. Any simple home remedies could be done to boost vitamin deficiency and the like? Special foods?

I didn't understand, how much sugar in the water? i just didnt understand the unit i guess

Is there such a thing as "too much water"? Or I should assume that if it needs it, it'll make use of it?

I took a cup of water and put a pinch of salt and about a fifth of a tsp of sugar, it drink it all, its late at nite after all, but either way, it did drink some, and it seemed to have enjoyed it too very much. It was looking at me as if it expressed appreciation for the time and effort i gave for it, but if im just imagining to myself-eitherway, i hope it successfully recovers! anymore suggestions that ppl may have is mighty appreciated! remember-total beginer here!

I took a cup of water and put a pinch of salt and about a fifth of a tsp of sugar, it drink it all, its late at nite after all, but either way, it did drink some, and it seemed to have enjoyed it too very much. It was looking at me as if it expressed appreciation for the time and effort i gave for it, but if im just imagining to myself-eitherway, i hope it successfully recovers! anymore suggestions that ppl may have is mighty appreciated! remember-total beginer here!
I'm so glad that it is drinking for you. Tomorrow, you can add some water to a small amount of chicken feed to make it like soup. That way she will get more fluids. If it is old enough, you can chop some bits of cooked egg and plain yogurt for extra protein and vitamins. Hope your chick makes it.

I'm quite amazed at how this worked, thx a mil for this suggestion! Before i went to sleep last nite, it was still a little out of it, but this morning it was eating and drinking normally by itself and behaving as usual full of energy, thank G-d. I took the water mixture and added it this morning to the waterer, and it was enjoying it very much, hopefully it'll give it some energy boost to manage throughout the rest of the day while it's still recovering from its exhausting day of weakness yesterday. I'll definitely keep posting about it if any changes do occur, but for the meantime it's fine. My chick made it!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom