young chick

lolli1103

Chirping
Oct 2, 2015
henderson nevada
Hi,
I have not posted for quite sometime but I am hoping someone on here can help me out. I have a young chick who was hatched out on the 1st of July that makes her 9 weeks and four days old today. I went out earlier today to collect eggs, check waters give them some feed. etc. I pulled the two eggs from the two two year old hens in the coop and run she is in. I noticed while filling their water there was a very tiny egg in the door of the coop. The two hens in the coop one of which is the chicks mom both lay different color eggs. The mom to the chick is a barred rock Ameraucana cross and lays a pretty dark brown egg. The other hen is an EE cross on both sides of her parentage and lays a very light blue egg. I should mention the roo that is in the coop and is the daddy roo is an EE Crested cream legbar cross. When I pulled the tiny egg from the doorway. I noticed it was very dark olive in color. There is no way for any other birds to get into the coop and run. The young pullet is now obviously the one who laid the egg, as per genetics, I expected her to lay a darker green egg due to her parents genetics. The thing that I can't wrap my head around is the age of the chick 9 weeks and 4 days. The egg weighed .02 oz. it even had a tiny yolk. Has any one ever had a chick this young lay an egg. If so what might the repercussions of a chick this young starting to lay. Any insight would be welcome.

Yes, pics of chick and egg, please.
No way a 9 week old is going to lay.

Do these eggs have a white shell inside, after you peel the membrane off?
NO actually the shell looks to be almost green after the membrane was peeled off. I am assuming it was that color because of how thick the shell was it was almost like two shells stuck together. I have some pic's on my phone I will need to do that from my phone though as I am currently on my computer.

958B1B8F-9B79-417F-BCC8-85F4B7ECAA93.jpeg
E8CD71A8-228C-4571-83A2-2DC3E8CC4C16.jpeg
4C3BE7BA-5AC0-4FE1-8C96-8FC01B3E503A.jpeg
E49A97E9-CE8F-4F8A-A8D7-C6DCE104A4FB.jpeg
Hi,
I have not posted for quite sometime but I am hoping someone on here can help me out. I have a young chick who was hatched out on the 1st of July that makes her 9 weeks and four days old today. I went out earlier today to collect eggs, check waters give them some feed. etc. I pulled the two eggs from the two two year old hens in the coop and run she is in. I noticed while filling their water there was a very tiny egg in the door of the coop. The two hens in the coop one of which is the chicks mom both lay different color eggs. The mom to the chick is a barred rock Ameraucana cross and lays a pretty dark brown egg. The other hen is an EE cross on both sides of her parentage and lays a very light blue egg. I should mention the roo that is in the coop and is the daddy roo is an EE Crested cream legbar cross. When I pulled the tiny egg from the doorway. I noticed it was very dark olive in color. There is no way for any other birds to get into the coop and run. The young pullet is now obviously the one who laid the egg, as per genetics, I expected her to lay a darker green egg due to her parents genetics. The thing that I can't wrap my head around is the age of the chick 9 weeks and 4 days. The egg weighed .02 oz. it even had a tiny yolk. Has any one ever had a chick this young lay an egg. If so what might the repercussions of a chick this young starting to lay. Any insight would be welcome.
Hi,
o

Great job pulling the membrane off!
That shell looks thick.
Who is the larger egg from?
I'm betting the small one is from the same bird....
....it's just a 'fart' egg with an underdeveloped ova(yolk).
the larger egg is a 1.2 oz. egg from one of my 22 week old project girls that started laying yesterday as well. She is in a breeding pen with another rooster and hen. So the little egg didn't come from them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom