Abandoned chicks

Newchick429

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2023
We have had two chicks and a rooster that we rescued when he was young. He’s still bald on most of his head, but otherwise doing well.
I found a tiny chick left in the field next to us. It’s grown up well and I’ve introduced her to our other flock, they haven’t welcomed her in, but don’t pick on her.
My landlord came by last night with a chick a little younger then the one I found in the field a month or two ago. I’m hoping they can pair up.
My question is what breed they can be? I thought someone said a type of game hen, but I can’t remember which breed.
Is it common for the hen to abandon a baby or two? Tyia
A3FF4736-10EB-4DF6-A245-A4C9AAA0BDCA.jpeg

Attachments

• 9934F394-DD6A-4A31-B347-F5FF6C2CF2A5.jpeg
    9934F394-DD6A-4A31-B347-F5FF6C2CF2A5.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 8
Often times, a broody hen will only care for her chicks 3-4 weeks. Then one day, she just forgets them. I have old Mrs. Feathers, and she kept her chicks much, much longer, but she was unusual.

So her chicks have not been abandoned, they are just old enough to be on their own. If I raise chicks myself, without a broody hen, I generally get them into the flock at this age, 3-4 weeks.

Mrs K

It's likely that these chicks are gamefowl or game crosses, most likely American gamefowl crosses. Like Mrs. K said, some hens consider their job done at this age, and let their babies go

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into the breed too! I’m sure they’re crosses, as it’s a free for all where we live. The new baby has upward tail feathers. Should I assume it’s a roo?

Back
Top Bottom