Young chicken unable to stand/walk, is lethargic, not eating/drinking.

Lindsay Jane

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2018
Central Coast, California
1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Rosie is an 8 month old New Hampshire Red. She is smaller and thinner than the other girls. Weight is unknown- a pound, maybe?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS: She had a slight limp for a couple weeks, it came and went. The limp is gone, but spends most of her time "resting," i.e., sitting down. She isn't social with the other birds, and sleeps by herself on a lower roosting bar. She seems to be a bit smaller that the other two. She seems confused. When I am hand-feeding them treats (apples, strawberries, and leafy greens are their favorites), Rosie misses the food by a mile when she's trying to peck it, while the other two girls have laser-beam precision. She can most often be found sitting by herself, sometimes facing a wall or fence post. She has not laid yet. Her comb and waddles are very pale, and very small, while both other chickens have large, fleshy, bright red combs. She also often has her tail feather sort of... droopy.

FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS: Rosie’s poops appear to contain not fully digested food.

TODAY: Rosie is completely unable to stand/walk on her own. She falls down when she tries. At one point she fell, sprawled, and did not attempt to correct. I picked her up and helped her into a more comfortable position. Her eyes are closed most of the time, but she does open them when she tries to move. Her eyes are clear. When she is able to sit in a normal restign position, she often has all of her feather fluffed.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Symptoms have been going on a few weeks.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

The other birds have none of these symptoms. The other chickens are healthy and happy. Today they are hovering a bit around Rosie, usually they sort of ignore her.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No bleeding, injury, or trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

The other birds have none of these symptoms. I had thought the limp might have been from coming down the ramp of her roosting area and mis-stepping- all three birds took a short while to figure out how to use the ramp and would jump down at first. I thought she might have landed funny.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

As been eating/drinking normally, up to yesterday. No food or water at al today, including lettuce, apples, strawberries.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

No poop today- but has appeared to not be fully digested.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Have added calcium to her diet.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Unsure. I need help today because it is Sunday and there are no vets open that will see a chicken. And I am unsure if they can do anything but euthanize her. I want to keep her as comfortable as possible, I want to keep her from pain. Should I put her in a box/laundry basket- something with a blanket and keep her separated from the other chickens?

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

The chicken run has pea gravel and sand. The coop has larger wood flakes and then has shavings for the bedding/ nesting area. Rosie is currently in the run, resting on the pea gravel in the sun.

I don't know what to do, and I am extremely concerned and feel helpless! I am looking into vets that will take her (IT IS SUNDAY) but so far no luck!!

I would try to get some nutri-drench in her via an eyedropper, if she won't drink on her own. Any sign of worms from anyone? If she's in the sun, make sure she doesn't overheat especially if she is unable to get around on her own. As far as finding a chicken vet, I found mine through contacting an equine vet, knowing they wouldn't see a chicken but I hoped they would know of someone who would - and they did.
Sounds like tube feeding may be in your future, it's not hard and there are some good articles on BYC about technique. For now, I would keep her hydrated and comfortable, if the others aren't picking on her I would leave her with them. I hope you can locate a good vet who can help her. It's so hard to diagnose them when they could have been masking symptoms for weeks. Good luck to you and her.

Do her eyes appear normal color and clear with round pupils? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you ever treated her or tested her for coccidiosis? At her age she should have been laying eggs for awhile. What type of feed does she eat?

It is hard to know what exactly is wrong, but she may have coccidiosis, or Mareks disease. A reproductive disorder such as internal laying or salpingitis could be possible. I would probably treat her for coccidiosis with Corid from the feed store for 5 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water. You could take in some fresh poops for a vet to test for coccidia and worms, and ask about testing her for enteritis.

Try getting her to eat a balanced diet with 90% of it layer feed, and treats should be things like occasional chopped egg or some bits or liver or tuna if you need to coax her to eat. You might consider a chicken sling to get her upright close to food and water for short periods throughout the day (if she tolerates that.)

UPDATE: Rosie has passed away. I am concerned that is this was Marek's or another disease if the other girls will fall ill as well? They are quite healthy now and have never had any issues.

I am so sorry for Rosie’s loss. Can you refrigerate her body in a plastic garbage back, so that you can get her body tested for Mareks? That would be a good way to find out what was wrong. She was within the most common age for Mareks. They will do a necropsy (autopsy) and then they can test the feather shafts or any tumor tissue found. Here is a link where you can find your state vet lab to call tomorrow to ask about details and how to get the body there:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Please give us an update if you do get a necropsy. This long and detailed article is very good to read about Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Last edited:
I am concerned that is this was Marek's or another disease if the other girls will fall ill as well? They are quite healthy now and have never had any issues.
There is no way to tell if they will succumb or not. :hmm They will be considered carriers, but it does not have to be a death sentence for your whole flock. Each bird has their own immune system and so their T cells that fight virus are different. Some birds are more resistant and some strains are less aggressive so there are many unknown factors. Many things can look like Marek's also.

Best thing I can suggest is providing good nutrition not diminished by too many treats. I like using a flock raiser or grower with 18-20% protein and offering oyster shell on the side... And an occasional treat of scrambled or boiled whole smashed egg which has about 34% of it's energy coming from protein and 64% from fat... but the nutrients like vitamins, minerals and such are far superior to most other choices. That along with good parasite control (internal & external) and generally well maintained coop/run conditions. :fl

The farm that we got Rosie (and our other girls) from vaccinates for Marek’s disease. Can chickens still get it even wth the vaccination? And if so, will the vaccination help the other girls have a stronger immunity?

We will be taking Rosie’s body into a vet on Monday to get some answers.

Thank you to everyone for your help and you kind words.

Back
Top Bottom