Young chicken with bubbly swollen eyes

SeaClucks

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 21, 2012
I was given a 12 week old lavender orpington two or three weeks ago. She was fine for a few days and then her eyes started bubbling and then swelling. At first I thought it was irritants, and then stress since she had traveled from southern california to northern california. I left her for a day or two to see if it would clear up, then put ophthalmic gel (vetericyn) for a few days. After a week i thought it was a respiratory thing and have been giving her oxytetracycline antibiotics as instructed by her breeder. It's been a week and a bit and the swelling has gone down but the bubbling has not gone down as much as i'd like and now her eye seems wider with irritated eyelids. The bubbling gets worse if i pick her up. She's eating, drinking, preening, and very very friendly. No mucous or clogged throat. She scratches at her eyes sometimes and if she sleeps for awhile one gets sealed loosely shut. Her poops are watery and frequent, not good. Does anyone think this is a respiratory infection or could it be eye worms?
Here are pictures taken the first day, the end of the first week, and the last two are from today. How can I help her?

Could be eye infection or mild respiratory disease. Mycoplasmas frequently present themselves 2-3 weeks after a bird is moved to a new environment, and may range from simple bubbling eyes to a full gurgle and rattle. I absolutely would not let her anywhere near your current flock. If she's already been in contact with then keep a very close eye for symptoms and hope for the best. It would be ideal to choose a "canary" (bird you don't like much) from your flock to house with her, and see if it comes up with symptoms. You might also consider a blood test which can be done by a vet, usually around $30-$40.

For now I would definitely advise applying an antibiotic eye ointment daily.

Thank you! I'm going to try to get some vetrx tomorrow, and I just put some apple cider vinegar in there. She has a buddy in there but they are in my garage and away from the rest of the flock. The other one has been in there the whole time and has shown no symptoms, which is why i thought it was eye worms. The vinegar made her eyes water and I swear I saw a little wormlike string in there. Hm. We'll see.

The vinegar helps flush all the yucky stuff out. Take a warm, damp towel and gently wipe her eyes. The results are not immediate, it will take about a week. I do not know about eye worms, but Wazine is a great dewormer.
31zhuKF%2Bl7L._SY300_.jpg

Respiratory infections make everything swell, so mayby you just saw a vain. But it very well may be a worm. I am sorry, I can not help you here. My knowledge on deworming is very limited.
Good luck!

-G

Vinegar should not be put into the eyes. Vetericyn eye wash, gel, or Terramycin ointment can be used safely. I agree with QueenMisha--it sounds like a respiratory infection, probably MG. That can make carriers of your whole flock for life, whether they show symptoms or not. Getting the bird tested or culling would be what I would do. The stress of shipping could have caused her symptoms to show up. Tylan or oxytetracycline can treat symptoms, but disease will always be there, and can be transmitted through hatching eggs.

Last edited:
Vinegar should not be put into the eyes. Vetericyn eye wash, gel, or Terramycin ointment can be used safely. I agree with QueenMisha--it sounds like a respiratory infection, probably MG. That can make carriers of your whole flock for life, whether they show symptoms or not. Getting the bird tested or culling would be what I would do. The stress of shipping could have caused her symptoms to show up. Tylan or oxytetracycline can treat symptoms, but disease will always be there, and can be transmitted through hatching eggs.
I told SeaClucks to put vinegar in the drinking water(link bellow). That made her eyes water. They can become carriers, it is not certain.

This is the link that I sent SeaClucks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1069621/lethargic-broody

-G

Ointment that works well is a Neomycin based ointment which is stronger than terramycin.

If the bird is gasping for air, or gurgling, respiratory comes into play.

Any Respiratory issues, the only antibiotic that works is Gallimycin. Gallimycin is effective and works.

Cocci at times will water the eyes and ruffle the feathers..

Good Luck

Vinegar splashed in the eye won't harm it, but it is a weak acid, and can be irritating to the eye, mouth and throat. I would flush the eye with saline. It's untrue that Gallimycin is the only antibiotic to help a respiratory disease. Tylan, oxytetracycline, and Erythromycin (Gallimycin) are several of the antibiotics that will treat MG, and Tylan is probably more potent. Sulfa antibiotics work better on coryza. Baytril is good, but is against FDA requirements (although some people and some vets still use it on birds who will not be used for meat.) I have used plain Neosporin topical ointment in the eyes, but Terramycin and Vetericyn eye gel are made for use in the eyes. Neosporin eye ointment or drops are available only by prescription, and not necessarily better for an eye disease. Everyone has different experiences and opinions,but I have been giving advice based on poultry links.

Vinegar splashed in the eye won't harm it, but it is a weak acid, and can be irritating to the eye, mouth and throat. I would flush the eye with saline. It's untrue that Gallimycin is the only antibiotic to help a respiratory disease.  Tylan, oxytetracycline, and Erythromycin  (Gallimycin) are several of the antibiotics that will treat MG, and Tylan is probably more potent. Sulfa antibiotics work better on coryza. Baytril is good, but is against FDA requirements (although some people and some vets still use it on birds who will not be used for meat.) I have used plain Neosporin topical ointment in the eyes, but Terramycin and Vetericyn eye gel are made for use in the eyes. Neosporin eye ointment or drops are available only by prescription, and not necessarily better for an eye disease. Everyone has different experiences and opinions,but I have been giving advice based on poultry links.

Don't forget about Denagard (tiamulin)! That stuff is the second strongest Mycoplasma med behind Baytril. Besides that good advice Eggcessive.
I told SeaClucks to put vinegar in the drinking water(link bellow). That made her eyes water. They can become carriers, it is not certain. 

This is the link that I sent SeaClucks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1069621/lethargic-broody

-G

Not certain, but likely. Chances are quite high of infected birds becoming carriers. From what I've seen often better than 60-70%.

Back
Top Bottom