Young Chicken With Swollen Glands!!!

BoomChickaPop

Chirping
Jan 24, 2016
Relaxing with my Buns
I have a young Bantam Blue Wheaten Maran Hen, she is only 4 months old. Today I grabbed her to put her in the coop, and I noticed that her face looked swollen. I have never experienced this before in my 7 years of raising chickens. She came from a hatch of 9 so she has a lot of siblings to compare the difference with. In the picture below you can see the difference between her and her sister.
Nothing is wrong with their feed or the parents. They forage all day in the yard so I think she ate something. I checked her mouth and there was nothing wrong in there. She also has a lot of dried boogers in both nostrils. She breaths normally, But I will have to get the boogers out of her nose.
Her wattles feel FAT AND PUFFY too.
Any advice would be great
Thankyou
She is the chicken on the right.
Sorry about the bad picture

BCP

Is she sneezing, coughing, wheezing, or gasping for air? Coryza, one of several common respiratory diseases can cause swelling of the wattles. Stings of insects or ticks, fowl cholera, and frostbite can also be a cause of swollen wattles.

She isn't sneezing, wheezing or gasping. She could of been stung by something but not sure.
It definitely isn't frostbite(cause it is in the 80's here)
Is there a cure?
If it was a wasp or bee I can use my all natural remedy for stings

BCP

Benadryl childrens 1/2 dose can be used once to see if the swelling goes down. Is there any bruising in the wattles? If it is a respiratory disease such as infectious coryza or fowl cholera, Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet can be used for treatment of symptoms. Testing can be done before treatment to help determine what is wrong.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom