Young chickens dying HELP!!

Since you mentioned them flapping oddly, could it be the "crazy chick disease" in other words vitamin E deficiency? Maybe look up a video online and see if it looks similar. Have you given them supplemental vitemin e and selenium?

You can also use Acidified Copper Sulfate. 1oz to 5 gallons of water for 3 days. Not as immediate, but better than nothing.
Thank you for the reply.
I've spent awhile searching but I can't find anything available locally. Just the reality of such an isolated culture I suppose. Unfortunately as well, any Amazon or other pet med supply stores won't have the meds here for at least 6 days.

We've basically accepted the fact that they're all most likely going to die.

Thank you for the reply.
I've spent awhile searching but I can't find anything available locally. Just the reality of such an isolated culture I suppose. Unfortunately as well, any Amazon or other pet med supply stores won't have the meds here for at least 6 days.

I suppose they were in shipping for several days from the Iowa hatchery. I would bet the chicks are dying from shipping stress. Unfortunately it seems when some start dying, many die. About all one could do is give fluids and electrolytes orally with a dropper or syringe. Feed mixed with a little water and plain yogurt or raw egg would be good. The bloody droppings could be stress related. Heat, cold, rough handling, and dehydration during shipping possibly. Unfortunately without a professional necropsy and testing, it would be hard to know exactly what they are dying of. Very sorry that you have lost so many. Is there anyone locally who raises chicks where you would not get them shipped?

Thank you for the reply.

You should be able to get copper Sulfate at a feed store or a gardening store. You acidify it by adding acid. Citric acid (used for cooking), lemon juice, vinegar.

Thank you for the reply.

We've basically accepted the fact that they're all most likely going
They are easily salable.

See more at: https://poultrydvm.com/condition/coccidiosis

Last edited:
I suppose they were in shipping for several days from the Iowa hatchery. I would bet the chicks are dying from shipping stress. Unfortunately it seems when some start dying, many die. About all one could do is give fluids and electrolytes orally with a dropper or syringe. Feed mixed with a little water and plain yogurt or raw egg would be good. The bloody droppings could be stress related. Heat, cold, rough handling, and dehydration during shipping possibly. Unfortunately without a professional necropsy and testing, it would be hard to know exactly what they are dying of. Very sorry that you have lost so many. Is there anyone locally who raises chicks where you would not get them shipped?
Two of the three vet offices I reached out to locally recommended I contact a highly regarded avian virologist/pathologist on our neighboring island of Oahu.
We've saved the birds to send off for necropsy.
Based on the photos, videos, and descriptions provided to the actual professionals, they're all highly suspecting that the chicks arrived infected and dying to coccidiosis.

After I get results and actual info from people way smarter than I am I will make a new post

The one singular place I've found on our island does carry it, but is out of stock.

Every single other feed/pet/country style store employee i talked to had no clue what I was talking about.
Apparently it is incredibly rare here, even tho the soil is almost always damp. (200" of rain minimum per year where we're at).
The entire neighborhood raises chicks/chickens.
They also roam feral.
Never once has anyone on my street, in my social circle, or in my town has even heard of cocci.

I work in fine antique restoration and brought home several very fine-tipped plastic 'syringes' usually used to administer glues with precision.
We've been using them to administer food and water.

Unfortunately the only photos I have are of them either dead or dying, but I will post if requested.
Only took the dead photos just in case Murray McMurray requires them for a refund.
(It's not about the money, but the principle. We're both extreme animal lovers and continually digging graves is breaking me down in a big way.
((Sure, you should expect some deaths while homesteading but this is very different from anything we've encountered))

The chicks were shipped day old, according to the paperwork, and were also supposedly vaccinated. I'm new to chicks and chickens but my S/O is a generational farmer and has never experienced this here on the islands
Sorry, haven't been on site for the past few days ... Yard work before the anticipated rain we're expecting. Corid can be found at TSC or Miranda's; our local feed stores; Amazon carries ... Those that I know have Corid on hand.
My neighbor lost a couple of dogs due to Coccidiosis, so it's around. It's in the ground, and with all the feral chickens we have here, a person could bring it home just walking around.
Contact McMurray but I've never had issues with their chicks & doubt the chicks arrived with Cocci. I'm thinking it's more "weather" related ... Shipping during the Summer is not something advised due to the heat. Are you sure it was "blood" and not intestinal lining? Pictures of their poop would help?
Was it chicks or Hens? Our Dept of Ag has very STRICT restrictions for shipping poultry. We haven't had a good rain spell in awhile, my yard has brown spots although we are expecting a good drenching tomorrow. We need it.

Last edited:
Two of the three vet offices I reached out to locally recommended I contact a highly regarded avian virologist/pathologist on our neighboring island of Oahu.
We've saved the birds to send off for necropsy.
Based on the photos, videos, and descriptions provided to the actual professionals, they're all highly suspecting that the chicks arrived infected and dying to coccidiosis.

After I get results and actual info from people way smarter than I am I will make a new post
Don't know which Island you're on, nor location ... Each Island has its own Dept of Ag you can contact to ask if they do necropsy or even the University may have a department to do a necropsy. Some Vets will also do it.
Your issue is more likely shipping/heat related. We've had a whole shipment pass within days of arriving ... We never order during the summer months anymore. They usually ship on a Monday, expected to arrive on Wednesday but have been arriving on Fridays.
This is Hawaii ... Shipping and USPS are always a concern ... We're in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and have had do deal with delays due to weather & ocean conditions ... Now it's airline delays/cancellations which deliver our packages & when the Mainland has issues it affects us too.

Oh one more thing I forgot ... When any hatchery ships to Hawaii, whatever flight it's on has to arrive on Oahu/Dept of Ag Quarrantine Station. If flight the chicks arrive on MUST arrive during working hours, or they don't get cleared/continue to their destination until the next day ... Same goes of shipped eggs, there's also a form and requirements from whomever is shipping. Living in Hawaii has many challenges as we depend on shipments whether by air and/or ocean (that's another story)

Sorry, haven't been on site for the past few days ... Yard work before the anticipated rain we're expecting. Corid can be found at TSC or Miranda's; our local feed stores; Amazon carries ... Those that I know have Corid on hand.
My neighbor lost a couple of dogs due to Coccidiosis, so it's around. It's in the ground, and with all the feral chickens we have here, a person could bring it home just walking around.
Contact McMurray but I've never had issues with their chicks & doubt the chicks arrived with Cocci. I'm thinking it's more "weather" related ... Shipping during the Summer is not something advised due to the heat. Are you sure it was "blood" and not intestinal lining? Pictures of their poop would help?
Was it chicks or Hens? Our Dept of Ag has very STRICT restrictions for shipping poultry. We haven't had a good rain spell in awhile, my yard has brown spots although we are expecting a good drenching tomorrow. We need it.
It was chicks.
The timeline matched up perfectly.

I called TSC and they had never heard of Corid. I called Petco and that employee hadn't heard of Corid or coccidiosis.
Miranda's said they carry it, but out of stock.
Luckily I was able to meet with someone locally and they gave me enough to treat the remaining 50% of our order.

Photo of the blood poop (my gf panicked and wiped it up asap before quarantined the chick, and then replacing and washing everything in the group area)

The chick died within about 30 minutes of this happening.

Attachments

• 1692659218132.jpg
    1692659218132.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom