Young chickens dying HELP!!

ChickyChick66

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2023
Hi everyone. I’m posting this thread because I would like to gather everyone’s thoughts and opinions about what’s going on with my young chickens. I had five 2 month old chickens and now I’m down to two that have died in a mysterious way. I’m not sure what’s the problem. I clean their coop and feed/water regularly. The ones that died became lethargic and very lazy, almost as if paralyzed. One died after the other and it’s a continuation of sadness. The first one that died was my Houdan. She looked like she was having seizures and kept flapping her wings until she died. I got them from a feed store and they didn’t come vaccinated from what I know. I didn’t see any issue when I got them, but why are they dying now? I did see bloody stool way before they died and treated for Coccidia with liquid amprolium and it went away. After my houdan died I assumed it came back so I treated for Coccidia again but the others still died. I live in Houston and the temperature has gotten really hot. Could it be from the heat? I put ice in their water and they have plenty of shade. Could it be mareks? Please help me

We need more information, please.
Diet? Temperatures?
They’re eating chick started feed 20%. The temperature outside has ranged from 99-102 degrees but they’re in a coop inside my run that has full shade. I haven’t seen them suffer from any sort of heat exhaustion and made sure to cool them down by giving them cold vegetables and putting ice in their water. Another chick died just now. I took out their coop for a deep clean with bleach and completely moved the rest away from the flock. Whatever is going on has only killed my female chicks

They’re eating chick started feed 20%. The temperature outside has ranged from 99-102 degrees but they’re in a coop inside my run that has full shade. I haven’t seen them suffer from any sort of heat exhaustion and made sure to cool them down by giving them cold vegetables and putting ice in their water. Another chick died just now. I took out their coop for a deep clean with bleach and completely moved the rest away from the flock. Whatever is going on has only killed my female chicks
Ice water, maybe what's killing them. Cold water is known to kill chicks.
What type of coop is it that you're able to move it?
What vegetables? Do they get grit?
The houdan may have died from vitamin deficiency . Sorry for your loss

Ice water, maybe what's killing them. Cold water is known to kill chicks.
What type of coop is it that you're able to move it?
What vegetables? Do they get grit?
The houdan may have died from vitamin deficiency . Sorry for your loss
With this heat, the ice melts really fast leaving the water mostly cool, but it could definitely be a reason.. The type of coop I have is those small ones from Amazon. I’ll attach a picture. I use it for small chicks and put it in the run with the others so the older ones can get used to them. I did give them peas, green beans, and corn. But this was only once because I ran out of vegetables bags. I don’t give them grit. I searched what it was just now and didn’t know it was important. At the feed store they just tell you to feed them chick starter and that’s it. I will definitely add it to my shopping cart. My houdan, porcelain, and silkie are the ones that passed. I’ve heard they can easily die from vitamin deficiencies. I did recently buy rooster booster poultry cell. But thinking that it was Coccidia, I didn’t want to mix it in their water since amproilum is a thiamine blocker. I’ve been giving them amprolium for 1 week and i haven’t seen any bloody stool. Would you say it’s safe now to give them the rooster booster?

Attachments

• IMG_9197.png
    IMG_9197.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
With this heat, the ice melts really fast leaving the water mostly cool, but it could definitely be a reason.. The type of coop I have is those small ones from Amazon. I’ll attach a picture. I use it for small chicks and put it in the run with the others so the older ones can get used to them. I did give them peas, green beans, and corn. But this was only once because I ran out of vegetables bags. I don’t give them grit. I searched what it was just now and didn’t know it was important. At the feed store they just tell you to feed them chick starter and that’s it. I will definitely add it to my shopping cart. My houdan, porcelain, and silkie are the ones that passed. I’ve heard they can easily die from vitamin deficiencies. I did recently buy rooster booster poultry cell. But thinking that it was Coccidia, I didn’t want to mix it in their water since amproilum is a thiamine blocker. I’ve been giving them amprolium for 1 week and i haven’t seen any bloody stool. Would you say it’s safe now to give them the rooster booster?
It should be safe to give them the poultry cell now, yes.
Don't use any more bleach in your coop, it's not necessary.
Just chick feed is the best, but with the vegetables, they need grit

Very hard to say now what the cause of death was, but those small coops can really heat up in the daytime. Heat exhaustion and dehydration could be possible. Are the windows all open? A thermometer would tell you how how it is getting inside. They should not be eating all those extras anyway, but especially without grit. When they eat other foods, they can dilute the good balance of nutrients that chick feed has. With chick feed grit isn’t necessary, but when on grass or eating other foods, grit is important to help the gizzard grind up food. Flat pans of shaded cool water can be placed around the run to step into and cool their legs on hot days. Look at your feed as well to check for any moisture or mold. Your state vet can do a necropsy on a body if you continue to loose more to get a diagnosis.

Ice cold water can kill them. Use room temp water.

Hi everyone. I’m posting this thread because I would like to gather everyone’s thoughts and opinions about what’s going on with my young chickens. I had five 2 month old chickens and now I’m down to two that have died in a mysterious way. I’m not sure what’s the problem. I clean their coop and feed/water regularly. The ones that died became lethargic and very lazy, almost as if paralyzed. One died after the other and it’s a continuation of sadness. The first one that died was my Houdan. She looked like she was having seizures and kept flapping her wings until she died. I got them from a feed store and they didn’t come vaccinated from what I know. I didn’t see any issue when I got them, but why are they dying now? I did see bloody stool way before they died and treated for Coccidia with liquid amprolium and it went away. After my houdan died I assumed it came back so I treated for Coccidia again but the others still died. I live in Houston and the temperature has gotten really hot. Could it be from the heat? I put ice in their water and they have plenty of shade. Could it be mareks? Please help me
I'm in Houston. This coop is a problem, for sure.
It's not going to work. Are you good with building something simple? You're going to want something open on all sides or at least three sides and open air coop.

What side of town are you on? Hold. Don't answer this. I'll send you a private convo now.

Back
Top Bottom