Young chickens oyster shell dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizconti99

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hey everyone! I have one egg laying hen left after a predator attack. She is now in with the younger chickens. They are about 10 weeks old I’d say. I have been giving everyone the starter feed, including the egg layer. She was attacked by a raccoon and hasn’t laid any eggs in almost a month. I do, however have oyster shells out. I noticed sometimes the young chickens pecking at it. They mostly leave it alone but I do see some interest.

Am I doing this right?! I am nervous about the calcium intake for all the chickens, too much too little!

I’m kind of stressed out about it. If anyone has any advice or a better way of doing it I would greatly appreciate any input!

Thank you so much!!

Thank you!! Is there anyway to ensure my egg laying chicken is getting enough calcium?
Most hens are good about eating the right amount for their needs, when they have oyster shell available.

If she lays eggs, and the shells seem normal, you know she had enough calcium. A really weak eggshell will be obvious: either it breaks in your hand, or it breaks very easily when you try to crack it to cook the eg..

If she is not laying eggs, the calcium in the chick starter is probably about right for her too. When she is ready to lay again, she can help herself to the oyster shell at whatever rate she needs.

My birds wouldn't eat the pellet oyster shells, so I switched to flaked oyster shell. They liked that better. You can try that if she doesn't seem to be eating the pellet OS and her egg shells are thin. I also feed back egg shells after I wash and dry them, then whatever calcium they eat they get back.

The little ones sampling the oyster shell is fine.
Actually NOT fine. If they start too early it will stunt their growth. The calcium that is meant to go to shell production gets use in the bone production instead. At this point the bones are not yet fully hardened because they are still growing. If there is extra calcium they will harden premature. AKA stunt their growth.

Actually NOT fine. If they start too early it will stunt their growth. The calcium that is meant to go to shell production gets use in the bone production instead. At this point the bones are not yet fully hardened because they are still growing. If there is extra calcium they will harden premature. AKA stunt their growth.
Sampling is a key word.

Sampling is a key word.
Sampling no. Just how much "sampling" is going on. You can't keep them from "sampling" too much. So just keep it away period. The whole reason why starter, NOT layer, is fed to the babies. The calcium is already calculated for the babies. So any more "Sampling" is more than the amount recommended.

Also there is no need for extra calcium to be put in the brooder for the hen. She is not producing eggs at this time anyway. So why have it in there at all. Not to mention the little ones should not be in with the older ones if there is extra shell out. In the wild it is ok since there is not extra anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom