Young chickens oyster shell dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizconti99

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hey everyone! I have one egg laying hen left after a predator attack. She is now in with the younger chickens. They are about 10 weeks old I’d say. I have been giving everyone the starter feed, including the egg layer. She was attacked by a raccoon and hasn’t laid any eggs in almost a month. I do, however have oyster shells out. I noticed sometimes the young chickens pecking at it. They mostly leave it alone but I do see some interest.

Am I doing this right?! I am nervous about the calcium intake for all the chickens, too much too little!

I’m kind of stressed out about it. If anyone has any advice or a better way of doing it I would greatly appreciate any input!

Thank you so much!!

Thank you!! Is there anyway to ensure my egg laying chicken is getting enough calcium?
Most hens are good about eating the right amount for their needs, when they have oyster shell available.

If she lays eggs, and the shells seem normal, you know she had enough calcium. A really weak eggshell will be obvious: either it breaks in your hand, or it breaks very easily when you try to crack it to cook the eg..

If she is not laying eggs, the calcium in the chick starter is probably about right for her too. When she is ready to lay again, she can help herself to the oyster shell at whatever rate she needs.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen them eat any significant amount of it. I never have. I imagine the amount they would eat wouldn't cause any harm to them at all.
I have not.
It is always just the odd taste, trying it out so as to speak, and then they carry on with their day else where.
Interestingly, I have also seen roosters have the odd bit.

None since I don't feed them calcium (other than what's in the starter). Stands to reason.
So maybe leave the replies to people that have actually done it, studied their chickens behaver around the oyster shell from the day after they hatched.
Most chicks will try it out, but it only comes down to one or two pieces, and then they will ignore it until they do need it.
Some of my younger pullets will eat it, and I know that calcium is low in the soil here, so even very young chickens know what is good for them. Never have they comes to any harm from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom