Oyster shell vs egg shell

It seems a waste of their body resources to throw eggshells away doesn't it?
I used to compost my eggshells but feeding it back to the chickens makes more sense economically, plus any of the tiniest pieces can still get dumped into my compost once the chickens pick out the larger pieces.
I'm a fan of re-using egg shells. We use an old pair of blue jeans to accumulate egg shells, the foot holes are sewed closed. Once it's mostly full we stomp on the blue jean shell bag over a couple of days, until the pieces are relatively chicken bite size.
That's a cool idea! I've been crushing them in a paper towel (but they tear) or plastic baggie (but you get jabbed by pointy bits) but denim sounds ideal since it's tougher and I always have old jeans around in the rag bin.

Egg eaters suck, especially when they start teaching the others! But I bet she would've still done that even if you'd never fed her eggshells. Even people who feed oyster shell (or only use layer feed with no other calcium) report the occasional egg eater, so it can't be the egg shells... just bad luck...
Thanks, my first reaction is something goes wrong is"what did I do"? I don't like that it happens, but it makes me feel a little bit better to think that I may not have caused that and we can just blame it on mother nature.

Egg eaters suck, especially when they start teaching the others! But I bet she would've still done that even if you'd never fed her eggshells. Even people who feed oyster shell (or only use layer feed with no other calcium) report the occasional egg eater, so it can't be the egg shells... just bad luck...
Yeah I'm getting that sometimes things go wrong and were not caused by you or in this case me. Well when you're trying to do what you believe is right and feeding your animal and then you find out that that might be hurting in some way it does suck. I like the rest of it, it's a learning experience!

I have a shallow cardboard lined with newspaper in my kitchen next to the trash can. Shells are tossed in there to air-dry. No rinsing needed. They are crushed occasionally to make room for more. Just gave the chooks a big batch today, about half of the box tray full, crushed with a jar. Dried whites are not sticky at all, and is a bit of protein as well.
I also just dump it in with the oyster shell.

Do the layers get enough calcium from the egg shells vs. oyster shell? I'm not having issues but was curious because they pick through the oyster and get the egg shell out....my eggs are hard as a brick so it has not become a problem yet.

I was just curious if there was a huge difference? TIA
All of ours really seem to prefer egg shell. Perhaps the affinity has something to do with recognizing that from which they were once wrought.

All of ours really seem to prefer egg shell. Perhaps the affinity has something to do with recognizing that from which they were once wrought.
That, plus oysters are just unfamiliar to chickens. Where would a chicken ever encounter an oyster, historically and evolutionarily speaking? Eggs - yes, snails - yes, but oysters... Not really.

That, plus oysters are just unfamiliar to chickens. Where would a chicken ever encounter an oyster, historically and evolutionarily speaking? Eggs - yes, snails - yes, but oysters... Not really.
Your first line inspires visions for me... A Sunday afternoon rerun, and a Jacques Cousteau murmuring, "And making this submerged rock its lodge is an oyster, sighted only infrequently by les poulets, chickens, for very few have learned the art of scuba diving."

Yes. Eggs. Snail shells. Hmmm but some do like oyster shells, in all fairness.

Some like styrofoam, too ;) I wouldn't trust chickens too much to know what's good for them, especially when it comes to things naturally unfamiliar to them.
Ha Yes! And Im pretty sure Styrofoam wont dissolve in stomach acid and so makes blockages. My special interest hen used to eat some marvellous things... it's like chicken pica.

Ha Yes! And Im pretty sure Styrofoam wont dissolve in stomach acid and so makes blockages. My special interest hen used to eat some marvellous things... it's like chicken pica.
I had a cat that would eat aluminum foil any chance he got and sometimes he would eat plastic. The vet said there ain't much you can do about that except try to keep that stuff away from me and I did my best. But unfortunately he succumb to his addiction and it cost him his life. He was a great cat, didn't cause message didn't break stuff it wasn't always in your face every time you turned around. But yeah, there are some special critters out there that need a little more attention than the rest.

Back
Top Bottom