Oyster shell vs egg shell

I had a cat that would eat aluminum foil any chance he got and sometimes he would eat plastic. The vet said there ain't much you can do about that except try to keep that stuff away from me and I did my best. But unfortunately he succumb to his addiction and it cost him his life. He was a great cat, didn't cause message didn't break stuff it wasn't always in your face every time you turned around. But yeah, there are some special critters out there that need a little more attention than the rest.
Wow, that's incredible. And I'm sorry your cat passed... Vets often have weird tales of operating on dogs who ate plush toys, rubber objects, even bras... Your bottom line is right--give that attention to those critters who behave a bit differently. Absolutely.

I had a cat that would eat aluminum foil any chance he got and sometimes he would eat plastic. The vet said there ain't much you can do about that except try to keep that stuff away from me and I did my best. But unfortunately he succumb to his addiction and it cost him his life. He was a great cat, didn't cause message didn't break stuff it wasn't always in your face every time you turned around. But yeah, there are some special critters out there that need a little more attention than the rest.
My current cat eats aluminum foil and plastic bags. It almost cost her her life once, when she got blocked up. I'm extremely strict now to make sure the kids don't leave any such items lying around, we call them "kitty killer items" :lol: We've managed to keep her alive for 15 years now (she was 1 when we got her, currently 16), I hope she has many more in her because she's the best cat in the whole world. But I still have a bit of PTSD on the subject... Whenever I travel, if I find plastic lying around on the floor in the room I have a mild panic attack :D

Animals like that can make good housekeepers out of their family members. Had a dog that ate my DD's Barbie doll and taught her to keep her toys picked up.

I give both eggshells and oyster shells to my hens, but they noticeably go crazy over the eggshell more. We sprinkled some eggshells around our potatoes so slugs would be deterred from eating the leaves, and my hen Shirley dug out all the potatoes while looking for every eggshell piece she could find! I buy oyster shells already grinded up, and the hens dig through them to find very specific pieces to eat. They're very particular about their oyster shells lol

After reading the comments, I kind of feel I haven't put much thought into this. When I say I live on the East Coast, I mean like walk four blocks and you're in water. I have never thought to use oyster shells, which are very common in our area. I feed my chicks black soldier fly larva, which is supposed to have as much calcium (or so I've heard) and just sit my eggshells on the counter and crush them when dry. My two pullets just started laying about two weeks ago and I have four that are still not ready (16 weeks) so they are all still on grower feed. I noticed when I take the eggshells in the four are not interested, but my two laying pullets are. Should I start feeding oyster shells? So far, the eggs have been really well formed the shells are as thick, if not a slight bit thinker than store bought. They are still laying pullet eggs.

After reading the comments, I kind of feel I haven't put much thought into this. When I say I live on the East Coast, I mean like walk four blocks and you're in water. I have never thought to use oyster shells, which are very common in our area. I feed my chicks black soldier fly larva, which is supposed to have as much calcium (or so I've heard) and just sit my eggshells on the counter and crush them when dry. My two pullets just started laying about two weeks ago and I have four that are still not ready (16 weeks) so they are all still on grower feed. I noticed when I take the eggshells in the four are not interested, but my two laying pullets are. Should I start feeding oyster shells? So far, the eggs have been really well formed the shells are as thick, if not a slight bit thinker than store bought. They are still laying pullet eggs.
They start showing interest when their body starts needing extra calcium. They are very good at regulating themselves and eating as much calcium as they need. That's why it's a good idea to have it in a separate container, as opposed to pre-mixed in their feed (like a layer feed), to give them the choice to regulate themselves. You don't have to use oyster shell. I've never used oyster shell and my chickens lay strong eggs. What you do have to keep in mind is that they need to have the eggshells available all the time, they shouldn't run out. If you only ever feed them their own eggshells back, eventually you'll start running out and they'll end up with a deficit, because the equation is more complicated than a 100% return. Some eggshells get spilled or lost, some calcium is used by the body for other purposes, so what ends up going towards the new eggs is less than their output, and it adds up over time as a net deficit. But if you ever buy eggs, like next year when your then-mature hens start molting and slow down or stop laying for winter, save the shells from the eggs you buy, to replenish your stash. That's what I do, so I always have a surplus of shells and an endless supply for the chickens. And I don't have to use oyster shell, or a layer feed - just the all flock general feed (with no extra calcium added), and the eggshells.

They start showing interest when their body starts needing extra calcium. They are very good at regulating themselves and eating as much calcium as they need. That's why it's a good idea to have it in a separate container, as opposed to pre-mixed in their feed (like a layer feed), to give them the choice to regulate themselves. You don't have to use oyster shell. I've never used oyster shell and my chickens lay strong eggs. What you do have to keep in mind is that they need to have the eggshells available all the time, they shouldn't run out. If you only ever feed them their own eggshells back, eventually you'll start running out and they'll end up with a deficit, because the equation is more complicated than a 100% return. Some eggshells get spilled or lost, some calcium is used by the body for other purposes, so what ends up going towards the new eggs is less than their output, and it adds up over time as a net deficit. But if you ever buy eggs, like next year when your then-mature hens start molting and slow down or stop laying for winter, save the shells from the eggs you buy, to replenish your stash. That's what I do, so I always have a surplus of shells and an endless supply for the chickens. And I don't have to use oyster shell, or a layer feed - just the all flock general feed (with no extra calcium added), and the eggshells.
Thanks for the information, I already save eggshells for my tomato plants, so I have a stash. LOL We are currently still buying eggs, since they just started laying recently and I will make sure to save all the shells.

Thanks! I notice they do eat some of the oyster shell but when I supplement with the baked egg shells they pick through to get those out throwing the oyster shell out on the ground....I normally only put the egg shell about once a week.
I have oyster available all the time and some hens eat it regularly. When I use our eggs I save the shells and crush them in my hands and toss them out to the girls. Some days they eat them all other days not so much. I only have 5 hens.

Two three questions:

1. What kind of container do you keep shells in (oyster or egg)? I read somewhere to nail a plastic container to a block of wood to provide things like shells or grit.

2. If you save unrinsed egg shells for any length of time, does this attract bugs or mold? Saving them for months over winter in a jar unrinsed doesn't make them go bad? My hubby just always talks about if there's egg shells in the trash, it starts to smell quicker.

3. Do I need to start feeding shells BEFORE my hens start laying or just when they start laying?

Two three questions:

1. What kind of container do you keep shells in (oyster or egg)? I read somewhere to nail a plastic container to a block of wood to provide things like shells or grit.
I just use these cheap parrot cups, they hook onto any smaller wire like hardware cloth:
parrotcup.jpg
2. If you save unrinsed egg shells for any length of time, does this attract bugs or mold? Saving them for months over winter in a jar unrinsed doesn't make them go bad? My hubby just always talks about if there's egg shells in the trash, it starts to smell quicker.
Bake them, crush them and set them somewhere where they can breathe (like an open bag or container in the garage) and they're good for months without issue.

If you don't bake them or otherwise allow them to completely dry out, they'll get mold like anything else. Same with keeping them in an enclosed environment like a lidded jar. Key is dry vs. moisture.
3. Do I need to start feeding shells BEFORE my hens start laying or just when they start laying?
If you simply leave them available they'll decide when they need them. When I have chicks around the shells are still sitting around, they don't have too much interest in them.

Back
Top Bottom