Oyster shell vs egg shell

Pics
Oyster shells stay in the body longer so they are available especially during nighttime when birds don't eat, but need the calcium to apply the egg shells to the egg their body is working on.

Egg shells are more delicious to a chicken, but they are broken down quickly. It's okay to offer both. Hens don't often eat much of the oyster shells, but they should always be available free choice.

Oyster shells stay in the body longer so they are available especially during nighttime when birds don't eat, but need the calcium to apply the egg shells to the egg their body is working on.

Egg shells are more delicious to a chicken, but they are broken down quickly. It's okay to offer both. Hens don't often eat much of the oyster shells, but they should always be available free choice.
Thanks! I notice they do eat some of the oyster shell but when I supplement with the baked egg shells they pick through to get those out throwing the oyster shell out on the ground....I normally only put the egg shell about once a week.

Thanks! I notice they do eat some of the oyster shell but when I supplement with the baked egg shells they pick through to get those out throwing the oyster shell out on the ground....I normally only put the egg shell about once a week.
To cut down on waste of your oyster shells I would feed the shells separately. Chickens love egg shells. I usually just dump mine on the ground. I don't bake them either.

To cut down on waste of your oyster shells I would feed the shells separately. Chickens love egg shells. I usually just dump mine on the ground. I don't bake them either.
I wasn't baking them but they seem to be much easier to crunch up when baked...I usually just slide them in the oven after my wife bakes something and leave them until it cools down.

I wasn't baking them but they seem to be much easier to crunch up when baked...I usually just slide them in the oven after my wife bakes something and leave them until it cools down.
I found when I rinsed the insides they crunched up easily (after they dry in a bowl too) without the egg whites acting as a glue and sticking egg bits to my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom