Oysters for non layers

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
One of my three hens has started laying, do I start intigrating layer feed? WIll it hurt the two who are not yet laying? I put oyster shells down thinking only the layer would somehow know she needed the extra calcium, but they all devoured it.
What should I do to get enough calcium for the one without hurting the other two?:idunno
TYIA!

Yes, start the layer feed.
And just so you know, the crushed oyster shell should be free choice at all times and fed from it's own container in a dry location.
If it gets wet the calcium will leach away.
Also to grind the nutrients out of oyster shell, a chicken needs grit in its gizzard. Something sometimes forgotten by folks. Especially if your birds are confined or caged.
My flock free ranges and I offer oyster shell and granite grit anyway. These 2 item are a couple of the less expensive items you can buy for your chickens.
Problems including death can arise if hens lack these. Just good insurance.
Good luck!

One of my three hens has started laying, do I start intigrating layer feed? WIll it hurt the two who are not yet laying? I put oyster shells down thinking only the layer would somehow know she needed the extra calcium, but they all devoured it.
What should I do to get enough calcium for the one without hurting the other two?:idunno
TYIA!
I have the same question. I'm combining pullets with my hens. How can we safely feed the flock?

Back
Top Bottom