Young Chicks dying

JMSCarr

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2016
Memphis Tn
Advice needed quickly please
I have a young group of chicks suffering from respiratory infection. Started 10 says ago lost 2 of the smallest chicks right away. 2days ago lost another and last night 1 more. Feeding Manna pro medicated chick feed.
Oxytetracycline in water. They appearedon't to be recovering until this am. Now 3 more are acting off, huddled together fluffed up,but no respiratory noise. Not eating much but some. Bought them from an Npip verified flock, ages 5wks to 3wks, bantam cochin and LF chicks. Gave Nutridrench this am. I don't want to loose more
1f62d.png

Advice needed quickly please
I have a young group of chicks suffering from respiratory infection. Started 10 says ago lost 2 of the smallest chicks right away. 2days ago lost another and last night 1 more. Feeding Manna pro medicated chick feed.
Oxytetracycline in water. They appearedon't to be recovering until this am. Now 3 more are acting off, huddled together fluffed up,but no respiratory noise. Not eating much but some. Bought them from an Npip verified flock, ages 5wks to 3wks, bantam cochin and LF chicks. Gave Nutridrench this am. I don't want to loose more
1f62d.png
Welcome to BYC.

What signs of respiratory infection are you seeing? Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose/eyes, facial swelling, etc.?

You mention huddling, fluffed up appearance, but no respiratory noise. Not responding to antibiotics, age 3to5wks.

This is my best guess --- You will want to treat them for Coccidiosis.
Treatment is Corid which can be found at the feed store.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Welcome to BYC.

What signs of respiratory infection are you seeing? Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose/eyes, facial swelling, etc.?

You mention huddling, fluffed up appearance, but no respiratory noise. Not responding to antibiotics, age 3to5wks.

This is my best guess --- You will want to treat them for Coccidiosis.
Treatment is Corid which can be found at the feed store.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.
Can you answer any of the above questions please?

Originally started with sneezing and congested breathing. One chick did have some swelling below eye. Treated the group with Oxytetracycline for 8 days seemed to improve then 3 died in expectedly. The rest appeared to recover. No stool changes noted but did run fecal float, negative. Now starting to have increased resp. And sneezing again. Want to try tylan contemplating euthanasia and starting over.

Originally started with sneezing and congested breathing. One chick did have some swelling below eye. Treated the group with Oxytetracycline for 8 days seemed to improve then 3 died in expectedly. The rest appeared to recover. No stool changes noted but did run fecal float, negative. Now starting to have increased resp. And sneezing again. Want to try tylan contemplating euthanasia and starting over. Tylan will help with any secondary infections they may have, but will not "cure" them. Almost all respiratory illnesses will make them carriers for life. Depending on which illness it is, antibiotic treatment may help with some of the symptoms.

I do recommend you send one for necropsy to determine what illness you are dealing with.

Tylan 50 injectable, given orally, or seek a vet's help. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. Give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. 5days.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I did send 2 to the state lab. It's mycoplasma with endocarditis and secondary proteus infection. Thanks for the advice

I did send 2 to the state lab. It's mycoplasma with endocarditis and secondary proteus infection. Thanks for the advice

I'm sorry to hear that.

At least you know the cause.

You may want to do some heavy research on Mycoplasma so you can weigh your options. Your birds will be carriers for life so any new birds you bring in will be exposed - even if none of your birds are showing any symptoms at the time.

Some people do keep flocks with Mycoplasma and try to manage the symptoms with antibiotics - they have "closed flocks". It really depends on what your chicken keeping goals are. If you are considering selling/giving away chicks, started pullets or hatching eggs, then you really want to think about whether or not you need to start over since Mycoplasma can be transmitted "transovarian" - meaning it can be passed through the egg to developing chicks.

Let us know how your sick ones are doing.

Back
Top Bottom