young culls ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the1much, Jan 29, 2009.

1. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hiya alls,, im starting a little gamecock project,,and these first few generations will be about 50% culls,, but i am going for looks,, nothing to major,,lol,, but i cant tell which ones i want to keep until they feather out,, and then theres not many people around that want game hens for LEGAL purposes,, there is 1 guy with horse stables that i can give a few too,,, but,,, my question,,,, what do ya do with the young culls? theres no place round here to give for "animal" food,, no bird sanctuaries,,,,,,i mean it aint no biggie for me to bury them,, but seems like a waste [​IMG]

thankies allz [​IMG]

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Do you have dogs and cats? Humanly do them in (the culls not the dogs and cats) and feed them raw to the animals. I do not do this but it is an alternative to just throwing them away.

3. the1much

Quote:thankies,, never thought of that,, i have a cat,, but he's a "coop cat" so i wont be feeding him the chicks,, lol,, he would think i was trying to entrap him hehe,, no dog,, but know plenty of dogs [​IMG] hehe. [​IMG]

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    You can try Craigslist. You can offer them for free as live birds or as raw food for dogs and cats. MANY people are now feeding raw and would love to get some free chickens.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    You could try what I do. I hatch purebred chicks. Whatever I have extra I offer to 4H kids. I call the extention office and they hook me up with poultry club leaders and kids. I don't hatch a lot of chicks, and I do try to give the kids some nice ones (as well as keep a few for myself). The kids use them for their 4H projects. A lot of kids want to keep chickens, but can't have too many because of where they live. It's a win-win situation. I get to rehome my birds, and they get projects.

6. the1much

thankies horsejody [​IMG]
    these chicks are from my black grey game, and a couple different hens. so they wouldnt be able to show them [​IMG] , i sell alot of chicks,,, alot alot lol,, but the only ones i would sell or give my games away to are people that are like "us" or for show,, and alot are just believers that ALL games are for "bad things" [​IMG] ( i now have grey hens to go with my roo , so ill have some pures i could do that with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by