Young Easter Egger Has Stopped Laying - Why?

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
I posted this a bit back but didn't get much of a response, so I'm gonna try again and give more info.

I have an Easter Egger about 8 months old and I've had her since 3 months old. She started laying about a month ago and way laying about 3 eggs a week. But, she stopped almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't had anything. She seems active, and normal. The temps are ideal here in So. California and my other birds are all laying. I use a good organic feed and have oyster shell available. They are in a large run most of the time so there is no way she can be "hiding" her eggs somewhere. There are no mites as the other birds would have them, too.

Is this normal for a new layer to stop for a while? Any idea why she has stopped laying? I miss my pretty blue eggs.

Sylvia

I have the same problem with one of my girls, a Black Australorp. Didn't get much response to my post either..... I would LOVE to know why and if there is anything we can do. I don't think mine is motling.... I hope we but get some ideas this time
hmm.png

I don't know the answer, but I have an EE who is going on two years old, who is perfectly healthy and happy, but has never laid an egg in her entire life.

Yet she has a great personality, and she brightens up the chicken yard, so we won't cull her.

My EEs are the most unreliable layers in my flock. Fortunately for them, they lay the most lovely colored eggs and are such dingbats that I keep them around more for their charm than their laying. It has been my observation that my EEs respond to stress more than the other birds in the flock. They are just flightier birds than everyone else. The slightest thing will put them off laying for a few days. I try to keep their stress levels down as a result. I don't know if this applies to your birds or not, but that's simply my observations of my flock.

Good luck.

Hmm, I have an EE hen who lays very well in the summer, but quits in the winter, but even in part of last summer, she quit laying. I too love her charm, so we won't cull her.

My Ameraucana was the first to stop laying this winter, and she JUST laid an egg yesterday. THE WORST of my egg layers. Eggs are pretty, but I'll never get another one. She went for about 3 months without an egg. The other gals stopped too, but not for as long, and most of them were at least laying every couple days or so... not stopping completely.

My EE stopped laying for a few weeks and I think it was after we introduced a couple of new hens. They overtook her in the pecking order and I didn't realize for a while - thought she was maybe sick, as her cheek feathers looked tatty. Then I figured out she was getting picked on by the others. After a while she started laying again - wasn't molting, wasn't sick, she just stopped and then she started again. Could it be something like that? She has such a quiet, gentle nature, I feel sorry for her getting bullied.

I have 3 bantam EE's and they lay great I know that my one Ameracuana laid late and was the 1st to stop in winter. I was kind of glad due to not having egg laying issue's like some of the other breeds I have read about.

Back
Top Bottom