Young guinea hen brooding now - Help!

TammyMay

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2016
I'm new at raising chickens and guineas. I have a guinea pair and the hen has created a next at the edge of the woods. We just discovered it today 1/16, and there are at least 13 eggs in the nest. I don't know if or how they can be saved. We will have below zero wind chill at night for the next few days. The guineas roost in an unheated garage pen with the 6 chickens that I have. Help?

Sorry for the late reply.

I would suggest replacing these eggs with some fake ones in the nest and bringing them inside. Keep them as warm as possible until you can set-up an incubator of some kind (home-made or bought). When they are ready to hatch you can put them back under their mother or, if she has abandoned her nest, you could raise them by hand.

I hope this helps and I hope they all hatch healthy. Best of luck!
smile.png

When my Guinea hen lays in an undesirable place I gather the eggs and move to where I want her to brood. My Guineas are tame and have always continued to brood even after I moved the nest. Yours might not go broody if the nest is moved but I wouldn't want to leave a lone Guinea out by itself, especially with those temps coming up.

Back
Top Bottom