Young hen can't walk

Patsy jo

Hatching
May 18, 2015
I have 12 young hens about 2 1/2 months old. Several days ago one of the Red babies was laying on her side with her little legs one in front stretched out and one behind her. I picked her up and brought her in the house and have her in a box, she is eating good and drinking. Chirching happy and content but she trys to stand but falls and does move around took her out the morning and sit her on the ground she picks at the ground and get up on her legs but can't really walk around. I feed them the Medicated Purina Chick Food and put Vi-tal in their water. What can I do for her to help her or can she be helped

I have the same situation. in my case it is salmonella in the flock and only 1 cannot walk.`check the other symptoms, it could be anything.

I have a 4 month old RIR with the exact same symptom! She started limping one week ago, and since then appeared to get worse to the point of not being able to steady herself to stand at all, to now she can sort of stand on her one "good" leg, and the other foot is curled underneath her. I've been placing her in a nesting box to sleep at night, and getting her down in the morning. She hobbles around but mostly just stays put all day wherever I've placed her in the yard. Really hoping she starts to turn a corner as it's been a full week as of this evening. Doesn't appear to be bumblefoot...from the googling I've done it seems like this is more common amongst Reds than any other breed...?? New chicken mom so I don't know what to do other than bring her food and give her baby aspirin....

How do you know it is Salmonella? And if it is Salmonella, that came from the breeder if they are free ranged and not kept in pens
will this clear up on it's own or live here forever? (will it be safe to continue making fresh mayo?)

I have a 4 month old RIR with the exact same symptom! She started limping one week ago, and since then appeared to get worse to the point of not being able to steady herself to stand at all, to now she can sort of stand on her one "good" leg, and the other foot is curled underneath her. I've been placing her in a nesting box to sleep at night, and getting her down in the morning. She hobbles around but mostly just stays put all day wherever I've placed her in the yard. Really hoping she starts to turn a corner as it's been a full week as of this evening. Doesn't appear to be bumblefoot...from the googling I've done it seems like this is more common amongst Reds than any other breed...?? New chicken mom so I don't know what to do other than bring her food and give her baby aspirin....
My RIR did the same thing but only a few weeks old. Both feet had curled under. Brought her in and after a few days one foot was all the sudden right the next day the other foot was good. Now how long do I keep her from the flock?

How do you know it is Salmonella? And if it is Salmonella, that came from the breeder if they are free ranged and not kept in pens
will this clear up on it's own or live here forever? (will it be safe to continue making fresh mayo?)
my chickens are free in a run. unfortunately there are plenty of mice and rats in the area where I live (fields and old abandoned houses). I am treating the whole flock with baytril and hope it will help. and I know that this one will not live for long even if she gets better.

Back
Top Bottom