Young hen is sick

Basia54

Hatching
Jul 28, 2021
My young (about 12 weeks) hen started to squat a few days ago and is reluctant to walk.
I separated her from the flock.
Soon she started to pant hard with her open beak and she lies on her side all the time and does not get up.
She stopped eating alone and today (four day from beginning of problems) is having trouble drinking.
We feed and water her with a syringe
My search on google did not bring any results.
The symptoms presented there have different than in the case of my hen.
Has anyone met with something similar?
What to do to help her?
Basia

Welcome to BYC. Was your hen vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you have a rooster who could have hurt her back trying to mate her? Is it extremely hot where you live, or is the coop very warm inside? Could ahe be dehydrated? I would keep trying to get fluids into her. Those are more important, and you can also add water to some chicken feed to make it moist. I would get her upright in a chicken sling or prop her on towels, and separate her. If you should lose her, and are in the US, you could get a necropsy by your state vet to find out what is wrong with her.

I just saw the video posted, and she looks to be gasping for breathe. Can you see anything inside her beak, such as mucus, or yellow material? Are her eyes watery and swollen? If you have electrolytes and can get her to swallow that might help. Poultry NutriDrench is a good product and dosage is 2 ml orally once a day. It has vitamins that can help with legs if a deficiency is a problem.

Last edited:
Poor baby, she really looks miserable.

What's strange is that her wattles are bright red. As hard as she is struggling for breath I was expecting her to be cyanotic but she isn't.

How is her weight? If you feel her breast bone is it prominent or does she have ample breast muscle? The reason I ask is if this was sudden she will be of good weight while if she has been hiding her illness as chickens will do, she will have lost weight. Also low weight could be indicative of a neoplasm or tumor in her lungs.

I hope you figure out what is going on with her.

I just saw the video posted, and she looks to be gasping for breathe. Can you see anything inside her beak, such as mucus, or yellow material? Are her eyes watery and swollen? If you have electrolytes and can get her to swallow that might help. Poultry NutriDrench is a good product and dosage is 2 ml orally once a day.
Nothing in her beak, eyes are OK.
We are giving her electrolytes with water

Poor baby, she really looks miserable.

What's strange is that her wattles are bright red. As hard as she is struggling for breath I was expecting her to be cyanotic but she isn't.

How is her weight? If you feel her breast bone is it prominent or does she have ample breast muscle? The reason I ask is if this was sudden she will be of good weight while if she has been hiding her illness as chickens will do, she will have lost weight. Also low weight could be indicative of a neoplasm or tumor in her lungs.

I hope you figure out what is going on with her.
Her weight is about 3 pounds and looks rather skinny now. her 'sisters' looks OK.

Are you in the US? It is very hard to watch a chicken in so much distress, and not be able to help them. How is your coop ventilation? Do you have a vet who sees chickens in your area?

Are you in the US? It is very hard to watch a chicken in so much distress, and not be able to help them. How is your coop ventilation? Do you have a vet who sees chickens in your area?
I am in Canada.
Our vets are most knowledgeable about dogs and cats.
My coop is perfect and hens spend most their time outside now

Back
Top Bottom