Young hen laying down all the time

sevenlucky7s

Songster
6 Years
Mar 22, 2017
CA31A7AE-00EB-4D2D-97AA-E53BF1D04A8C.jpeg
I have A young hen that has just reached laying age (all of her friends have started laying) she has been laying down most of the time for a few weeks now. She gets up and runs when we get close to her and she eats like normal, she follows her flock sometimes and sometimes she just lays in the coop. We have checked her vent and felt no egg inside. Have given her extra calcium. I don't Know what to do! I

View attachment 1916745 I have A young hen that has just reached laying age (all of her friends have started laying) she has been laying down most of the time for a few weeks now. She gets up and runs when we get close to her and she eats like normal, she follows her flock sometimes and sometimes she just lays in the coop. We have checked her vent and felt no egg inside. Have given her extra calcium. I don't Know what to do! I
I'm sorry she's not feeling well.
What does her poop look like?
When you examined her, did you look for lice/mites?
It would be a good idea to check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.
If you can collect some of her poop and have it tested for worms and coccidiosis overload that would rule out some things too.

In the meantime, if possible, give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins. There's so many thing that can go wrong with chickens, sometimes it's hard to know at first, but try to eliminate some of the most common ailments (crop problem, parasites, etc.)

I'm sorry she's not feeling well.
What does her poop look like?
When you examined her, did you look for lice/mites?
It would be a good idea to check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.
If you can collect some of her poop and have it tested for worms and coccidiosis overload that would rule out some things too.

In the meantime, if possible, give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins. There's so many thing that can go wrong with chickens, sometimes it's hard to know at first, but try to eliminate some of the most common ailments (crop problem, parasites, etc.)

Her poop looks normal, I checked Her crop this morning and it was empty. No sign of any mites. She’s very alert and can/ will
Run if she wants to. Will a regular vet check the poop? This is my first experience with chickens so we are learning as we go. Any specific vitamins you recommend? Thank you so much!

Her poop looks normal, I checked Her crop this morning and it was empty. No sign of any mites. She’s very alert and can/ will
Run if she wants to. Will a regular vet check the poop? This is my first experience with chickens so we are learning as we go. Any specific vitamins you recommend? Thank you so much!
Some vets will check the poop, you will have to ask. Another option if you are in the US is to collect a sample and either take it or send it to your state lab. There's also independent mail order services you can use - you would order the packet from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20

There's quite a few good poultry vitamins on the market. I normally use Poultry Cell.

Back
Top Bottom