Young Hen Paralyzed/Lethargic

Update! She seems to be exhibiting no more signs of being sick. Her droppings are normal, she has any more energy, she eats, and she is very loving.

Now that she has built up a little more mass and energy, I've been trying to help her stretch out her legs. She herself cannot push it past a 90* angle at the knee(?) So I've been gently applying pressure past that until she pulls away or protests. One of these times her knee made rapid trio of liquid "popping" sounds and the other time made a sound like a joint falling back into place.

However there is still extreme resistance in the joint area and I believe the joint might be inflamed, it's hard to tell because she lays on them all day and it feels just as warm as her skin.

I dont want to hurt her but if this is a joint problem I would like to get this taken care of as soon as possible as to prevent her future pain and complications. Does anyone have insight?
Glad to hear she is not sick anymore.

I'm not sure about the joints? Are they swollen? Are both legs/joints "frozen" and seem to have fluid and pop when you stretch them?

Glad to hear she is not sick anymore.

I'm not sure about the joints? Are they swollen? Are both legs/joints "frozen" and seem to have fluid and pop when you stretch them?

Yes... they pop when I stretch them out and they lock in place after a certain point, or become very very stiff when I try to help her stretch her leg all the way out. I dont really know what a normal chicken joint should look or feel like, but it is possible hers has swelling and fluid inside.

Yes... they pop when I stretch them out and they lock in place after a certain point, or become very very stiff when I try to help her stretch her leg all the way out. I dont really know what a normal chicken joint should look or feel like, but it is possible hers has swelling and fluid inside.
Sadly, that does not sound fixable. Could be from anything I suppose, injury/nerve damage, disease like Marek's, leg joint/bone deformity.
Since she could initially walk a little, I would lean toward it possibly being Marek's, but there's no way to know without an examination after death.

The best you can do is give her a good nutritionally balanced poultry feed appropriate for her age, vitamins once a week and see how it goes.
Putting her in a sling occasionally may help, but it sounds like that distresses her.

Here's some info on Marek's http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Thank you for all the help I do appreciate it.

EDIT: Ok so.... she let me touch her upper leg and is this BONE protruding from her thigh????

20181211_142402.jpg

Back
Top Bottom