Young Hen Sick?

NewBanty

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Hi,

Haven't been able to find anything to match the symptoms I'm seeing. We have neighborhood chickens & the hen hatrched 2 eggs in my yard 13 weeks ago, 1 rooster & 1 hen. Both got pasty butt when they were a few days old & we caught them & cleaned them up & put them back out. The little rooster got sick with Cocci when he was about 8 weeks old, got him all better but he's still sleeping in a cage in my garage because he forgot how to or can no longer get into the tree where they roost. Now the little hen appears sick with something but she's not acting like Cocci.

The mother hen started chasing the daughter away from her & her "husband" a couple weeks ago, so the two young ones started hagning out away from the other two. The last few days the daughter has been laying around alot, not very energetic & instead of normal chicken sounds she kinda squeeks. She is still eating good, but I haven't been able to keep a close enough watch on her to check her poop or if she's drinking. Noticed last night she had a tough time getting in the tree & tonight when I went to get the little rooster she was in a V of the tree by the ground making her little squeeks & came walking towards me so I tried & caught her too, so tonight I can see her poops & how much water she drinks. Went ahead & mixed the water with some Corid just in case even though she isn't acting the same as the little rooster did.

When the little rooster had Cocci, we put him back out every day & just brought him in at night. I'm wondering if we should just keep the hen at night & let her out to roam during ther day even though she pretty much hunkers down in one or two spots for most of the day.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

I think they're Bantam Old English Game Birds. They've been outside their whole lives. We're in Las Vegas so our nights have just started dropping into the 50's.

Back
Top Bottom